1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck smokes at high speeds

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by CarpenterGuy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Hey y'all. My truck smokes when I floor it going down the interstate. When I floor it a little puff of black smoke shoots off. What's going on with that? Thanks!

And if any of you could help with this, I'm working on my cousin's '97? Jetta and it wont turn over at all. We jumped it and while being jumped, the motor will crank up for about 1.5 seconds and then shut off. When we disconnect the jumper cables and try to crank it up it wont do anything..dead battery. Could the battery be the reason why the motor wont stay cranked? The car has also been sitting there for a year, but he swears he turned it on last week and ran it for about 20 seconds. Thanks again!
  2. MANBEARPIG

MANBEARPIG New Member

evening carpenterguy. the smoke doesnt concern me too much but it is a sign of extra unburned fuel passing through the converters (possibly and likely). it has likely been caused by a power adder like a modified fuel curve. as long as it doesnt have a check engine light and passes smog then no worries but it could shorten the life of the cats. If it will help you sleep at night then talk to you local mechanic about putting it on the scope (dyno with test equipment)

As for the jetta, without looking at it, you are off to great start by suspecting the battery but the fact that it does it while being jumped would suggest something else. with out seeing the vehicle, knowing its condition, or hearing what it sounds like when cranking. Try pulling the spark plugs to see if it has hydro locked. If its clear then make sure that the key returns all the way to the off position before cranking again. by design vw will not crank more than once from the on position.

Remember these are just tips there are plenty of other things it could be, let me know how it goes
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Actually a little puff like that isnt anything to worry about, it is most likely carbon that is being "blown out" when you step on it. If you look at just about any vehicle going down the highway and look close when you hit a hill and their motors kick out of OD with the cruise on you will see it. A good seafoam treatment should alieviate that issue.
  4. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

Alright, thanks! I will definitely seafoam it. I've never used it and I'm not too sure of how to use it, but I can figure it out. Thanks!