Truck Sounds like a Diesel but it isn't!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MB3, Jan 15, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MB3

MB3 New Member

Afternoon everyone.

I have a 2001 Silverado 1500 and recently the weather in Texas has gotten pretty cold. When I start up my truck in the morning, my engine sounds like a diesel engine for about 30 seconds and then the sound fades away as I assume the engine gets warmer.

Anyone experienced anything like this? What do I need to take a look at?

Thanks
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would start off and remove the trottle body and use throttle body cleaner on it. It sounds like you have a chunk of carbon or build up in the idle air control valve.
    Also is the check engine light on? IF so get the codes pulled and that will tell you more as well. Also when was the last time it had a tune up?
  3. MB3

MB3 New Member

No check engine light on.

I'm at 115k miles and I got a full tune up at 100k.

Never messed with the throttle body before. Got a little project on my hands I guess!
  4. Looey

Looey New Member

Piston slap. There is nothing you can do about it, and it's probably harmless....
  5. Wyjrb

Wyjrb New Member

I agree with Looey. My 02 GMC 2500 w/6.0 has been doing it for awhile now. 150,000+ miles. gets worse when cold.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My wondering is if it is a miss or just a rattle.. if a rattle im on board with the common LS motor Piston slap/lifter clatter. If it is a miss/chugging stutter etc, then clean to TB.. well actually cleaning the TB never hurts either way.