truck starts then a sec later dies...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jcloud, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

I have a 1998 k1500 ext cab Z71 with the 5.7L and i have had the truck for about 5 months. it has started up strong every time i have started it. then today i go outside to go to work and i try to start my truck and my truck starts then like a second later it dies. i tried to start it a couple times more and it would start and die. maybe it could be a bad fuel filter? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Can you here the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the ket key to the accessory position? It should run for 2-3 seconds then shut off. Did you just fill the tank full? Try banging on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet and see if it starts then. If it does fuel pump is on its last legs. time to drop the tank.

3. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, we should probably start with a few basics first...

Given that it is a '98, there most likely are a few miles on it. Guessing around 160,000.

With it being new to you just 5 months ago, we can count on it needing some TLC.

If you have already done some of the following, you'll be ahead of the game.

So, what I would do is clean off the TBI and IAC sensor with TBI cleaner (not carb cleaner).

Change out the Fuel filter, and air filter while your at it.

Unplug and clean all of the Electronic sensor connectors, one at a time.

Clean off the Battery connections and the ground to frame connection.

A new set of wires will help to over come any unnecessary arking our added reistance to the spark.

New spark plugs for sure.

And a new rotor and Cap for the distributor.

Pretty cheap investment for reliability.

Most likely your current issue is the Cap and Rotor have some wear on them.

Next plan out what kind of usage you will be getting out of your truck, daily driver, hauling a trailer, off road trails...

If you don't want to get stranded, a new distributor may be on the horizon. As well as a new Coil.

These few things will get you down the road for many more miles.

4. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

A I need to do all of that and I haven't changed any of that but I mean it's not getting enough fuel so it's starting then dying. Most likely it's a clog fuel filter cause who knows when the guy has replaced that. My truck has 186,200 miles

5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yup, take it one step at a time.

6. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

It's good now.. My truck started and drove it around the block then started it three more times. Hmm these trucks are weird lol my friends z71 truck did the same thing last friday

7. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

A when I turn the key over I hear the fuel pump c
    come on for like 2-3 sec and yes I did fill up yesterday. I wonder if that had anything to do with it..? Thanks for all the help guys