Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

truck too high

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Tracks, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Tracks

Tracks New Member

Just bought a new 2014 3500HD, crew cab, drw to pull my 5th wheel. Just discovered the truck is too high to tow the trailer anywhere close to level. I can get by with dropping the rear of the truck 3". Raising the trailer further is not an option. Has anyone else faced this, or have any thoughts on how to go about it?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Can you get a smaller goose neck?
  3. Tracks

Tracks New Member

The problem is the lack of clearance between the trailer and the top of the box. Currently have 3". Recommended is 6". Raising the hitch only adds to the leveling issue.
  4. I believe the only way to get a level trailer is to put a flat bed on the truck. I have a regular cab 2008 Silverado 3500HD Duramax and have the same problem with a 20 ft livestock trailer. While turning and pulling out of a steep driveway the trailer has touched my bedrail caps several times especially pulling out with the trailer empty. First I tried tightening the torsion bars almost to the max which helped a little then this year I had a level kit installed which was a major improvement. Still have to keep the trailer gooseneck extended so the trailer is riding no-where near level but I now have about a half inch clearance between the bedrail and trailer when pulling out of the driveway. But this is still pulling out in low four wheel drive as slowly as possible to avoid any bounce or sway of the truck or the trailer.
  5. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

without lowering the truck, I don't see any other way to get it to work without serious modifications.

Welcome to the Club by the way.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Lower the truck and all will be well