1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Truck will not start

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by KenL, Aug 21, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. KenL

KenL New Member

I have a 2004 2400HD truck. It will not start. This is the third time this has happened. First two times required towing to dealer and about a total of $1500. Dealer fixed both times, but it's only been about three months since the last repair. Ran fine yesterday, but went out this AM and it urns over fine but won't start. Primed the fuel filter (hopefully correctly) but it still just turns over. Last repair was described as replacing a one-way, no return valve back to the fuel tank. They said fuel was draining out of the filter back into the tank. Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Start with the alternator, pull it and get it tested and the battery as well then move on to fuel problems, it could possibly be the pump...is it throwing any codes?

3. KenL

KenL New Member

Thanks. Batteries are less than a year old, and are turning the engine over very well. I haven't tested the alternator but since the batteries remained charged that seems unlikely, but will check out with a volt meter. I haven't checked codes as I'm unfamiliar with that procedure. It seems pretty clear that the engine is not getting fuel for some reason as that has been the case the last two times something similar has happened. I'll check codes if you can point me in the right direction.

4. KenL

KenL New Member

Alternator and batteries check out okay; no codes were found at all. Primed and bled fuel filter and truck still will not start. What's next?

5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Is it gas or diesel?

6. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Check and clean the groud going to the frame...stuff acts weird when that gets rusty/corrided

7. KenL

KenL New Member

Truck is diesel. Previous work included replacing the regulator (part no. 97369850) and filter (part no. 12642623) + filter kit.