Truck won't start after a few upgrades.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by CWBx, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Are you sure that you have the wires on correctly? the stock caps on that year can be confusing when installing the wires. Also, the cylinders numbers are labeled on the intake on that model. Here is another diagram maybe this will help.

firingorder.jpg

2. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

looking into further,i have conflicting parts books,is this a internal coil distributer cap or external?

3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Not sure about the 99... The 97 has an external coil... it is mounted on a bracket connected to the intake on the passenger side of the engine. You should be able to find it easily. Maybe the guy who had it before you did a distributor swap or something? What does original cap look like? Does it have the side posts/connections for the wires as depicted in my diagram? Or does it have the top post connectors? You may be able to find out what came from the factory using the vin. The diagram I posted was from the R vin. If you search 1999 chevy 5.7 firing order you will find the resource I utilized.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I see you have the MSD HEI distributor... the information I was giving you was for the OEM. Sorry... didnt mean to confuse you. Have you tried looking at their website? That may provide the information you need.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a quick look on the MSD website... they have two types...one with the coil integrated in the cap and some with it external. If you need help finding the correct one post some pics of your old cap and an above pic of the distributor without the cap on it and I will see if I can find anything.

4. CWBx

CWBx New Member

I spoke with the P.O. who said that it's not an MSD dist. just an MSD Cap\Rotor. The dist. is stock, but after removing the cap for inspection all the points are corroded so I bought a new cap\rotor kit today.

Tonight I'm going to pull the plugs out and find #1 while the cap is off.
    I'll reply back once I've had a chance to document the correct wiring & replace the cap\rotor to see if that fixes it.

5. CWBx

CWBx New Member

So after a lot of elbow grease, profanity, and sweat the beast is cranking out the ponies once again. I love the way this thing sounds with the new headers on it.

The problem turned out to be 2 things:
    A. #1 Cylinder was not in the location as per the label so I found that to start with.
    B. The distributor cap and rotor were both corroded so replaced those, checked the timing with a light and it cranked right up.

So my install included the following: Water Pump \ Thermostat \ Water Neck \ Heater Hose \ All Coolant Hoses \ Radiator \ Headers \ Edelbrock Valve Covers & Air Cleaner \ 02 Sensor \ Spark Plug Wires and Plugs \ Wire Divider \ Distributor Cap and Rotor.

Here are some pictures for those who enjoy that type of thing. Sort of a before\during\after shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]