1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck Won't Start Unless I press the gas pedal while turning the key **PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by silveradoowner, Jul 12, 2011.

1. silveradoowner

silveradoowner New Member

I recently bought a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8, Everything was fine up until the last couple of weeks. The truck wont start unless i press on the gas pedal as I turn the key, even then it still shuts off every once in a while while I'm idling whether at a stop light in drive, or in a parking lot in park. But the most embarassing part is getting it to start.

I have already replaced the fuel filter, and the EGR valve, and I cleaned out the throttle body. Does anyone else have any ideas, I'm just tried of spending money on new parts that aren't fixing the problem.

PLEASE HELP
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well to begin is the check engine light on? if so you need to get the codes checked. Also did you pull the throttle body off to clean it or just clean it on the motor>? since i have an incling that the Idle Air control valve has a malfunction, or the throttle postition sensor and or related wiring. So once you let us know the answere to these then we can go from there... Good luck! and congrats on the new truck 1999-2002 are my fav body style of that generation!
  3. gnxclone

gnxclone New Member

Check your fuel pressure regulator. Before you start the truck, after it has sat awhile, pull the vacuum line off of the regulator. If it has gasoline in it, your regulator is bad. It's about $50 for a new one at AutoZone. It's a common problem on this engine.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

If this does turn out to be the problem, the reason it starts when you hold the key is because you are putting the ECM in "flood mode". It simulates the old days when a flooded carb'd engine needed the throttle open all of the way in order to start. In flood mode, it reduces or cuts the fuel from the injectors. It gets flooded from a bad regulator because the gas in the fuel rail is at 55 PSI pressure...when you shut the truck down, that seeps into the vacuum line, which goes into the intake, which goes into the cylinders.
    1 person likes this.