Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck Won't Start Unless I press the gas pedal while turning the key **PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by silveradoowner, Jul 12, 2011.

1. silveradoowner

silveradoowner New Member

I recently bought a 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8, Everything was fine up until the last couple of weeks. The truck wont start unless i press on the gas pedal as I turn the key, even then it still shuts off every once in a while while I'm idling whether at a stop light in drive, or in a parking lot in park. But the most embarassing part is getting it to start.

I have already replaced the fuel filter, and the EGR valve, and I cleaned out the throttle body. Does anyone else have any ideas, I'm just tried of spending money on new parts that aren't fixing the problem.

PLEASE HELP
  2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

Do you park the truck in a garage? If so does the garage smell like gas after is sits overnight? Had same symptoms with my 99 and fuel pressure regulator was bad, changed regulator and all was well, hope this helps and good luck.
  3. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

I think I would also look in the direction of the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

If it were to start fine, and drive for a few minutes, and then die.....then have to wait a few minutes to start again, I would look at the Fuel Pump.

You could also get some guages and look at the fuel pressure....make sure that is good.
    It would rule out the Pump.

Have you done or had any work done on the truck??
    That would be in the area of the fuel delivery system??
    If so, check and verify your grounds are good. ;)
  4. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

x3 on the regulator, and fuel pressure check, once your there check the injectors, I think you can ohm them and take the resistance, but not sure on the specs. If this doesn't help rent noid lights from your local auto parts store and check the injector harnass. good luck
  5. LSU truckman

LSU truckman Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a problem with my press. regulator on my 2000 1500 5.3 chevy. It would start fine but would start bucking and losing power when I tried giving it throttle under a load. Also the check engine light would come on and the code would show to be low fuel pressure.
    I did have the same problem as described on my 2000 GMC Sierra with a 5.3. It was the factory security system that kept activating. It was fixed under warranty.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011