Truckputer Installed! (Warning- lots of large pics)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Crawdaddy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Some of ya'll may have noticed I haven't been on the site in a few days... Well, that time was spent building the wood center console I have been wanting to build and installing a truckputer in my Suburban.:party: This computer is very awesome. It has music, video, GPS, TV, and general computing functions. It has taken about 40 man-hours to build the center console to house this computer, and another 10-15 hours physically building the computer and getting everything set up. The specs of the computer are:

10.4" 4:3 LCD touchscreen
    AMD Sempron 3000+ mobile processor
    1Gb DDR RAM
    integrated Nvidia GeForce 6100 video card
    80Gb IDE hard drive (OS and applications)
    1TB SATA hard drive (music and video)
    DSATX 220 watt intelligent 12v DC- 12v DC power supply with integrated startup/shutdown controller
    Linksys PCI wifi card
    ATI TV Wonder tv tuner card

For those of you computer inclined, you'll notice that it isn't the fastest machine on the block, but it's fast enough for office applications, watching video, and playing some low to mid-range games. I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures of the final product up yet, but I should be getting them up soon. Stay Tuned for more!

2. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

thats awesome cant wait to see the finished project:great: Gotta love the innovation from GMTC members

3. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

This thread is soooooo worthless without pics :D

Congrats man I can't wait to see!

4. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sweet. Hurry up with the pics already!

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Look forward to seeing what you've brewed up!

6. Crawdaddy

I have not yet taken pictures of the finished product. However, I have 3 shots from when we were fitting the screen in the console. This behemoth of a console weighs a decent amount because we made it out of MDF. It actually sits in place in the truck by itself pretty well, although once I carpet it and finish it for good it will be bolted to the floorpan. I apologize for the poor picture quality. I was taking the pics with my cell phone which was coated in sawdust...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks Cal-Custom! Look forward to the pictures.

8. Stargazer

Stargazer Rockstar

Very cool!

9. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

wouldn't it have been just as easy to build an updated laptop into the center console with an external usb TB hard drive? make it where you could attach it to the stereo and play music through it surround style and also hook into the vehicle computer for on board tuning? if you did that you could have removed the system, the hard drive or whatever then you need to update/upgrade it. I was considering redoing my console that way too that's the only reason i mentioned it. Of course if you have just incorperated the desktop pc in the truck because you had an extra one lying around that you weren't using or something ..... either way I'd still like to see it all done up might give me some ideas for what i was considering too.

can't wait to see your pictures , post them soon.

10. Crawdaddy

Ok, this morning I took some pictures before I left to work and found some dismaying results... Looks like the screen isn't bright enough to overcome direct sunlight. It's washed out to the point where I can barely see it from the drivers seat... I'm thinking a tint job to the lowest allowable by law is in order, for glare reduction and physical security (that screen pops out at you like a sore thumb...). OK, on to the pictures! To see them all, go to this link, they're far too huge to really post here: http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/crawdaddy444/Suburban/Carputer Project/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I mean when I say it's washed out...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008