Trucks with CVT - Continuous Variable Transmission

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by cyberpine, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine Rockstar

I'm reading and am surprised to learn GM is running CVT transmission in there new trucks.

My wife has a CVT transmission in her 4 cylinder jeep patriot and I was very surprised with how well that little jeep responds. It has zip and is much faster than I would have ever expected. It drives different to anything I've driven before, you don't feel shifts, but once you get use to it, it seems like a superior technlogy.

I was wondering how CVT responds and will hold up to tougher applications like towing and hauling.

Thanks

2. sc99z71

sc99z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

The CVT is one the coolest things I have ever experienced on a vehicle. I used to work for Nissan which have been using them for years, and have driven every vehicle they have put them in. You don't feel it shift because it doesn't shift it is basically 1 long gear. It is a constant surge of power! I would also like to know how they would hold up to heavy loads.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The CVT is the ultimate transmission and would / will be used in all vehicles except it just does not hold up to any serious torque. This is the reason you only see them behind little 4 cyl cars. I wasn't aware GM had a CVT for trucks. Can you post a link to this info??

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just found the information at the GM website. The CVT is in the hybrid truck. This CVT is actually 2 electric motors spinning the planetary gears in a conventional style transmission. It's a great design although not a true CVT transmission in the true sense of the word. What I mean by that is this transmission is not a conventional trans you could bolt up behind a gasoline motor in a non hybrid vehicle.
    Once the manufacturers learn how to make a CVT hold up behind a conventional V8 you will see them in abundance. They are the ultimate transmission because the engine can be run where it makes the most efficient power within it's power band.

5. Biggest improvement since FI in my opinion. The concept of CVT is great.

It DOES take time to get used too. I borrowed a buddy's car with it. It feels so different. When driving a normal auto you don't even realize the gear shifts. Not until you take them away...then something feels..off.

I think they will have to do a lot of work on them...because as mentioned and based on what I read...it just won't fly pulling the heavy loads.

6. jwpete21

jwpete21 New Member

look up the Fendt Vario

7. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

The CVT isn't very new technology. Leonardo Da Vinci came up with it 500 years ago. Somebody got around to patenting the CVT in the late 1880's. They have been using them in lawn tractors, drill presses, snowmobiles, and sawmills for a very long time.

I think you may find that the transmission in most hybrids is actually a PST, or power sharing transmission. Some of the newer ones may be using CVT's, dunno.

Subaru marketed a car with a CVT back in the '80's but it turned out to be a very expensive way to shred rubber belts a couple times a month.

8. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

There is a basic explanation of the Fendt trans. on you tube. Search AGCO cvt transmission. The Fendt trans is used by Massey Ferguson tractors also.