1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

True duals

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Z71_usmc_rebel, Jul 17, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel New Member 100 Posts

If i was to go to my local muffler shop and have them remove all the piping from the headers back then re pipe my exhaust to be true duals with just flow master mufflers and no cats...would that mess with my O2 sensor readings? my state doesnt have emmisions checks so i dont have to worry about that...
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes, I think. I guess they still have two on each side for calculating fuel / air mixtures for the computer.
  3. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member 100 Posts

Yeah, you need the cats and O2 sensors there, otherwise it'll throw a code, and can negatively effect performance as well.

The cats already flow pretty darn well on these trucks. And what little restriction they do have is actually beneficial as it provides some much needed low-end torque. Our trucks aren't exactly light! Just go with a cat-back system. You can get that to sound pretty darn loud if you want it to.
  4. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you really want to run without the cats, then a quick and easy way to avoid throwing a code is to put the second O2 sensor on a spark plug extension and then plug the spark plug extension into the piping. I picked one up at Checkers for less than $5. Just make sure you get one with the right threads.

I did this on my race/street car that I had a standalone ECU in, with a wideband O2 sensor, so I'm not sure what doing this to a vehicle without those things will do to your air/fuel mixture.
  5. JKEY817

JKEY817 New Member

It will sound mean as hell!
  6. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can buy O2 simulators that plug in where the O2's did and the compmuter won't know they are missing. The simulator sends the computer what a normal working O2 sensor would send on stock running vehicle.
  7. Z71_usmc_rebel

Z71_usmc_rebel New Member 100 Posts

hmm i didnt know that... im gonna go with the cat back...i dont need to lose performance or gas mileage..but i was just wandering what it would if i did only straight pipes back! thanks guys