True Duals

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Metaluzc, May 29, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member 100 Posts

Is it possible to buy two single exit exhaust systems to create true duals? Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I am having trouble finding a TRUE DUAL exhaust system for the '03 extended cab 6.0L. I am finding a lot for the 4.8L and 5.3L but no luck on the 6.0L. Should I get a custom true dual system installed?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

find a good shop and have them weld one up, will be cheaper
  3. Metaluzc

4" straight pipes would be nice :).
  4. vncj96

Thats too big diameter you will lose alot of torque and back pressure. nothing bigger then 3' even that could be pushing it for straights
  5. Metaluzc

Ok, what about 2 1/2" straight pipes with 3" tips? I don't know anything about straight pipes, so any advice is appreciated. I always thought the basic principle for horsepower gains is more free flowing air you have, the easier it is for your engine to breathe, thus increasing HP.
  6. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just go to a muffler shop, get them to cut the end of your Y-pipe off, and then weld on new pipe from there on back, get whatever mufflers you want, whatever tips, whatever exiting points, You decide. not what the kit decides.
  7. vncj96

That is the way it works but you get too big of diameter then there is less velocity on the expelled gasses. i had a shop teacher describe it this way in school, if you put a standard straw in your mouth and push air through it at a standard breathing rate it will come out at such and such velocity. Now you take another straw the same length that is twice the diameter and blow the same amount of air out at the same rate it will have less velocity as it has more area to cover to get out of the thicker straw. So its finding that happy medium.

running a true dual i would say that 2 1/2 would be closer to that happy medium