True Meaning of Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by aloxdaddy99, May 25, 2012.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

We all enjoy a long weekend off to celebrate the beginning of summer. But while you are celebrating remember all those who have payed the ultimate sacrifice for you to be able to do so. Also keep the families and friends of those serving today in your thoughts. The Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Air Force personel serve along side many civilian contractors that help them to complete the mission at hand. To all who are currently serving abroad keep your head on a swivel and we will see ya when you get back. Semper Fi!!

2. koyote

koyote New Member

Good post. I've had to explain the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day every year, more than once.

I'll be out Sunday setting flags. We set flags on every veteran's grave in the region- county, reservation cemetary, and the local columbarium. We do the services on Monday at all three.

It's important to remember why we have the holiday, indeed. Go have fun, camp with the kids, but give a few minutes or hours to teach and remember.

3. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Great post, Thanks to all who have served and are serving our country and especially to the families that have lost a loved one in service. You are always on my mind. Freedom is not free and our service members pay the price. God bless you all. :great:

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for sharing this. I hope everyone who gets time off, appreciates it and understands that what we have is very unique in human history. Very unique and exceptional. Thanks for all who have served this country and have given everything.

5. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i hate saying this one word but HOOAH, great post ive already seen flags placed by the headstones of fallen brothers and sisters i know i will be having one for the ones that we lost hope everyone stays safe

6. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

As I got older I realized so how young the soilders were that served and gave so much

7. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for the post. For many it is a given( remembering) but for others they need continual reminders. May we never forget the sacrifices that so many have made so we can enjoy so much. I will be attending a ceremony at the VA and 2 local cemeteries with flags donated by the widow of a fallen Soldier.
    Very humbling moments , picnics are secondary.