1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truth About Volt's Mechanical Linkages Starts to Emerge - PluginCars.com

Discussion in 'Chevy Volt Forum' started by ChevyFan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Interesting.
    It makes perfect sense of course.The advantage GMs 2 mode hybrid has over Toyota's HSD is it can use the ICE to directly drive the wheels without sending any torque through the generator/battery/electric motor. The Toyota power splitting device(a very fancy planetary setup- absolutely requires some-30%- of the torque go to the electrical part of the split. GM and its partners avoided that, so they will get better hy mpg by avoiding that mechanical/electrical/mechanical energy transfer with the inherent losses that entails.

I'm pretty sure the current Volt won't have the mechanical drive, but it is good to see GM has built the Volt with that in mind.
    I see this Volt generation as a proof of concept vehicle, not a $$ maker.The following generations will make $$$ when the battery packs are cheaper.
    I like GMs chances, but Ford has some good vehicles out there already,and their newest Powerstroke (7000 lbs 4x4)delivers an Honest 25-26 mpg at 60 mph in hy driving. Of course it might develop reliability problems-just like the 6.0 Powerstroke has-so who knows.
    Charlie