1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

trying to drain the radiator

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by moxnix92, Jul 11, 2009.

1. moxnix92

moxnix92 New Member

I decided to do a radiator flush on my 94 Sierra, which I have never done before on this truck. I'm lying on my back looking up and I can't even see the bottom of the radiator let alone find the drain. Is there something I need to remove? Like the front skid plate? I hate taking stuff apart and then finding out the answer was right in front of me !
    TIA
    Steve
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Usually you can see and reach them from the top side. It's little wing nut looking deal, with sort of a tube on it so you can hook on a piece of 3/8 hose.
  3. moxnix92

moxnix92 New Member

On the driver's side ?
  4. 2COR517

I think so. Ready for bed now, I'll check tomorrow
  5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

If I were you, I would take off the lower radiator hose at the radiator instead of trying to use the actual drain plug. I've heard a few stories of people trying to open the the drain plug and it braking off, resulting in a new radiator. Also, look into replacing any and all hose while you're at it, along with you belt. Might as well replace everything while you're in there now...
  6. 2COR517

His ideas are good. There are also two block drains, down near the oil pan. I havn't pulled block drains since I had my 81 almost 15 years ago. They don't come out easy, but it's the only way to really drain your entire system. 5/8 socket with long breaker bar if I remember correctly. Truthfully, you'll probably get your time back, because everytime you add water, it will still turn green.
  7. moxnix92

moxnix92 New Member

Thanks- I found it down by the bottom on the drivers side. The guy who owned the truck before me had a second battery installed on that side, so I had to remove that before I could see anything. I also had to pull the long blank cylindrical thing with two hoses going in to it- I guess it's some sort of smog device (do I need that?). I also agree that the valve seems kind of fragile- I was expecting an old fashioned metal valve. So I got everything drained, and a tube would have been nice because it was messy. I ran the flush and water through and had to stop there because it was getting late. I'll drain that this morning and add the final coolant mix.
    Steve
  8. 2COR517

Can you post a pic of the unknown device?
  9. moxnix92

moxnix92 New Member

Untitled-27a.jpg

The truck seems to run fine when it's disconnected, but I put it back anyway.
    Thanks
  10. 2COR517

Vapor canister. You want that on there. No impact to performance.