1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trying to locate bad bearing noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bigg G, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Bigg G

Bigg G New Member

01 Silverado w/ 5.3 ltr @ 100,043 miles

How can I do locate worn bearing noise in my P/S Pump, Belt Idler Pully or a Water Pump ?

I'm getting weird (whirrrrrrrrrrr) noise that sounds like metal grinding with the truck in park and the engine @ idle and sometimes when driving. Engine bay is super clean, fluids always topped off when checked hot & cold no signs of leaks in my driveway . The noise was very faint when 1st noticed about a week ago but now it's louder even when driving the truck but it's not continuous and come & goes. 1 thing I have noticed is

2-3 days a week normally @ startup in the morning the power steering is a little stiff when I pull out of my driveway making a right turn. This normally happens 1st thing in the morning and only last 5-10 seconds and don't return until maybe the next morning. Power Steering Fliuid is clean and topped off.

Any ideas or thoughts how to fix ?????
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The easiest way to to remove the drive belt(s) and turn the pulleys by hand, a bad bearing will be a little rough. A note of caution though, the alternator can feel like it's "rough" when it's fine, it's magnetic residue.

Usually, the idler gear is the one that fails first.
  3. Bigg G

Bigg G New Member

Thanks for responding Ray Voy.....I'll pull the belt and start checking things. I forgot to mention that the Serp. Belt has a brown powdery residue on it. Probably is the idler gear.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Probably metal flakes, the idler will get real loose when it wears, it won't be hard to find.