Trying to locate bad bearing noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bigg G, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Bigg G

Bigg G Member

01 Silverado w/ 5.3 ltr @ 100,043 miles

How can I do locate worn bearing noise in my P/S Pump, Belt Idler Pully or a Water Pump ?

I'm getting weird (whirrrrrrrrrrr) noise that sounds like metal grinding with the truck in park and the engine @ idle and sometimes when driving. Engine bay is super clean, fluids always topped off when checked hot & cold no signs of leaks in my driveway . The noise was very faint when 1st noticed about a week ago but now it's louder even when driving the truck but it's not continuous and come & goes. 1 thing I have noticed is

2-3 days a week normally @ startup in the morning the power steering is a little stiff when I pull out of my driveway making a right turn. This normally happens 1st thing in the morning and only last 5-10 seconds and don't return until maybe the next morning. Power Steering Fliuid is clean and topped off.

Any ideas or thoughts how to fix ?????

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The easiest way to to remove the drive belt(s) and turn the pulleys by hand, a bad bearing will be a little rough. A note of caution though, the alternator can feel like it's "rough" when it's fine, it's magnetic residue.

Usually, the idler gear is the one that fails first.

3. Bigg G

Bigg G Member

Thanks for responding Ray Voy.....I'll pull the belt and start checking things. I forgot to mention that the Serp. Belt has a brown powdery residue on it. Probably is the idler gear.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Probably metal flakes, the idler will get real loose when it wears, it won't be hard to find.