1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Trying to make my exhaust louder

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by twiggy, Sep 25, 2009.

1. twiggy

twiggy Member

I have a 99' Tahoe with dual exhaust. it was on the truck before i bought it, i think the mufflers are Flowmaster's but i'm not sure. they might be some off-brand. It's a true dual exhaust system, (Two of everything from the engine-back). So my question is Can i take off the Cats and straight-pipe it to make it louder? i live in SC, so we dont have emmision's test. So would taking the cats off make it louder and give it a more deep, throaty sound?

2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Taking the cats off will do that, but also make it snap and crackle. Getting headers will make it deep and throaty, especially long tube headers.

3. twiggy

twiggy Member

I would love to get some headers, i just cant afford it. I'm just looking for a cheap way to make it louder. Would taking the cats off hurt anything?

4. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It'll turn on your engine light, because the o2 sensors will be reading that your exhaust is rich. You will need to either program the computer to not read this, or get o2 simulators.

Good luck in your project!

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check around for O2 simulators "tuner" sites are the best place to find them or just get a custom tune and have them deleted that way

6. The Bull

The Bull New Member

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not to mention taking off the cats is a Federal Crime and the last place I'd want to announce I'm commiting a crime is on the internet.
    Leave the cats on they serve a purpose and you wont gain anything by removing them other than to piss off your neighbors with the added noise, and they might just get pissed enough to send the law around to have a talk with ya.

8. twiggy

twiggy Member

well i didnt know taking the cats off was a crime, but i dont think i have to worry about my neigbors, they would probably help me take em' off. LOL. well i guess i'll reconsider....

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

id run cut ofs right after the cat having them dump towards the ground. your truck will be very loud and still legal when u need it

10. 1995ChevyHoe

1995ChevyHoe Member

if you really want to do something with the cats, then there's a way to do it but make it legal, take the cats off, get a broom handle or something, bang out all the filter, honeycomb, and what not, and once it's cleaned out, put them back on, nobody but you will know the difference, and unless any law enforcement is really REALLY bent on bagging you for something, they won't know.