Tune Shop or DIY?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chvy411, Mar 28, 2010.

1. chvy411

chvy411 Member

I am getting a CAI, 6" lift, bigger tires, and dual exhaust within the next few months and I've been debating on how to tune my truck after it's done. Should I take it to a shop, or invest in a performance tuner and do it myself?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Are you going to change the diff gears as well???
    I would do it myself since a tuner these days can do pretty much anything that a shop can do related to upgrading the system plus if you ever decide to turn the truck back to street you can simply hit a couple of buttons....

3. chvy411

chvy411 Member

i havent looked into any re-gearing options yet.

4. murdog94

Depending on tire size id consider it so you can keep things alive longer and not suck quite as much gas and or worry about the lack of performance......

5. chvy411

chvy411 Member

any suggestions of gears. I'll be going with 33 or 35 tires

6. murdog94

Id say 4:11 but other guys might have a different input...
    BUt for sure just do the work yourself when it comes to the tune with smaller mods such as a CAI etc.. alot of people use a tune shop for things like a monstorous blower etc.....

7. chvy411

chvy411 Member

I planned on doing the CAI myself within the next few weeks. I was just unsure if I should invest in a tuner. Thanks though

8. murdog94

For just a CAI you really dont need one.. It would be something to get down the road.. I know they add a bit of power...

9. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I've been looking into re-gearing and many people on here have told me to either go with 4.10's or 4.56's for 35" tires so I'd go with what they have said and a hand held tuner seems to be the way to go for quick performance gains, plus it will help reprogram your truck for the bigger tires also.

10. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

i would just go with the programer, it is pretty easy to use and u can always change the tuning if u want, and for the gearing, if u go with 35's, put 4.56, it brings it close to how it was stock, if u go with the 33's, i wouldnt worry about gears