Tune?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 98silvy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 98silvy

98silvy New Member

Im thinking about getting a tune, but not sure if i should wait untill i get full bolt ons. Tunes are 150 and 50 for a retune. or should i get a programmer

2. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Get a custom tune if you can. If you plan on modding, get it from a tuner who offers free updates/re-tunes. Chances are, you'll never be "done" modding anyways. :) Just search around, there are lots of options out there.

3. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

A custom tune is always the best choice. I am not aware of any places the give free "re-tunes" but I also have only done tunes after large changes and involves dyno time. If you are going to progress with bolt on's, a hand held may be the short term answer until you are done switching parts.

4. 98silvy

98silvy New Member

thanks there are a few badass tuners around here one of them has a 8 second silverado. name is Flaco.

5. Coolrado

Coolrado Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I would do what mods you can first and then get a custom tune based on what mods you have done. The tune was the biggest improvement on my truck compared to my intake and exhaust.

6. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

as far as the free updates go, i've got a bully dog gt gas tuner, and it rocks...adds 15-20hp on low octane, 45hp on hi octane, and 75hp with E85. also the internet updates are all free, and you can customize tunes if you want to. theres a lot of other things you can do with it that a plain old tune won't help with. i can bring up and monitor everything that has a sensor on my truck with the gauge, and i can adjust things like shift points, calibrate speedo for tiresize, eliminate rev/speed limiters, time my truck's 0-60/drag times, and it even has a driving coach if you want to try getting good gas mileage. its a hell of a package for around $300.