1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tuning my amp w/DMM

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by USMC_SILVERADO, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ok so i finished the install sunday and everything seems to be flawless.

i tried tuning the amp with a DMM. im running a 600W rms amp @ 2ohms to the 2 Subs (300RMS ea.) so the calculation should be 600 * 2 = 1200 (sqrt of 1200 = 34.64) so i tried tuning the gain to get 34.64v on the DMM.. does this sound right?

this is what i did

i had all the settings on the stock head unit at 0 (bass, trebble, fade..etc.) and the remote base boost control on 0db, and gain set down and freq high and had a 50hz/0db cd playing to test with the DMM.. got it to as close to 34.64 as possible without going over.. anything sound wrong? ( the subs wires were disconnected from the amp and the DMM was inserted in their place.)

i have the amp hooked to the back speakers so when i use the 50hz/0db CD i can hear it playing.. which im not sure is good for my stock speakers but i have no other way of doing it since its getting the signal from the back speakers.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What head unit are you useing? What's the Volt output on the RCA's? What's a DMM? What amp are you useing?
  3. Im using Stock head unit
    Where can i find out the RCA output voltage?
    DMM= digital multimeater
    amp=
    pioneer gm-d8500m
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Where are you getting the signal for the amp? Are you useing a High to low converter? The Voltage is around 1-2 if that..So the Gain should NOT be turned up unless you are useing a High volt output aftermarket radio.

5. im getting the signal from the back speakers.. i dont have a LOC since my amp has the speaker level input for the signal.