1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tuning Up - Spark Plugs/wires Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blacknight97, Jan 30, 2012.

1. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey everyone, i'm looking to get my baby tuned up, i havent tuned it up at all since i bought her in 09' so i really need to do it, i have the 2009 vortec 5.3 V8, with flowmaster catbacks and a CAI, i want to try and put some good performance plugs and wires in. anyone know good brands, and how many i need to buy? :D i'm totally lost on this subject, lol. i know spark plugs and wires can help with performance and thats what i want. any info will help.
    thanks guys
    -luis

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

unless you have noticed a significant loss in MPG there is no reason to do a tuneup. How many miles are on it. and as far as performance these vortecs dont react well to anything but the oem spark plugs, and i and many others will attest you use something else and you lose mpg which also means you arent gaining any performance.

3. blacknight97

Yeah ive noticed im not getting as well as i did and its been a little sluggish.

4. vncj96

I assume you have no codes showing? there can be alot of things that could relate to the truck "feeling" sluggish, a change from your normal gas or using the E85 gas if you had always used standard gas. Low air pressure in your tires. With such a new truck i wouldnt just throw money at it assuming its the plugs and wires. Pull them first and see what they look like. there are plenty of guides on youtube and google to show you what you are looking for for a prematurely worn spark plug, and of course there is the thousands of truck guys o this site.

5. blacknight97

Yeah no codes showing. Im at 31K miles and do oil changes when i need to. I put regular gas from usually BP,Hess,Shell,or Mobil.

6. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

With only 31k your plugs and wires have alot of miles left. There has to be other issues causing your problems.

7. vncj96

take it to the dealership, put your warranty to work