Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

turbo 350 question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by roninbrad, Jan 9, 2010.

1. roninbrad

roninbrad New Member

i have a 84 chevy 4x4 with a wore out turbo350.i found a friend thats got one(supposedly a good one) the catch is its out of a vette.is it doable ,to much trouble,or not even possible to put in my truck.something was said about it being a short shaft or something like that.any help would be appreciated.

2. blowbye350

blowbye350 New Member

tranny question

i think that is possible if the splines are the same # of splines to match up to the t-case. you will also have to change the output housing if I am correct.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The output shaft in the Corvette Transmission is about 6" longer than your output shaft. The good news is the shafts can be changed in about an hour. It involves removing all the internal parts in the gear train however the valve body does not have to be removed. Both transmissions will have to be torn down to make the swap.

4. roninbrad

roninbrad New Member

sounds easier to find a used one or would i be beteer off rebuilding the one i have? slippage is the only problem. I dont think anything inside is broke,just slips when it warms up.

5. Jimmiee

If you have never rebuilt an automatic trans this is best left to the pros. You need a bunch of special tools to take the clutch drums apart and replace the seals and bushings. I always recommend rebuilding the unit that came in the truck rather than swapping in a used unit. It's up to you.

6. roninbrad

roninbrad New Member

thanks for the help guys!!!!!while i'm on here has anyone ever had any luck with transx for a slipping tranny?

7. Jimmiee

TransX will swell up all the rubber inside your transmission. It can't bring back a burned up transmission however. It will stop a seal from leaking and it will cause problems on a good working transmission by causing the rubber to deteriorate prematurely. Never put TransX into a transmission without planning on rebuilding it in the near future. :)