1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TURBO help on a 89 k1500

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by cameronc, May 27, 2009.

1. cameronc

cameronc New Member

I have a 89 K1500 with a carbureted gm performance 350 H.O. crate motor. I picked up a turbo today and was wondering if you guys could help me on the install? i have most of the parts needed, but I dont know much about doing a turbo on a carbed engine. Do i need anything special? It currently has a 600 cfm edelbrock. Do i need to go bigger?And how will i know what jets to go with in my carb? Also how much boost do you think would be safe for this application, its a 9:1 compression everyday driver. I was only planing on around 5psi. Could you gys help me out?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know there are specific superchargers for carbeurated engines is that the same for turbos?
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you plan on tuning your fuel yourself, I would highly suggest investing in a wideband O2 sensor and reader. I don't know much about tuning carbs, but I would expect you would have to increase the jet size some. 5 psi sounds like a safe boost level to start with.