GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Turbo or Supercharger???????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevymon, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chevymon

chevymon New Member

Hey i have a 06 6.0 vortec, i pull big 5th wheel trailers, goosenecks, and bumper pulls. i love my truck but want to get that big power a supercharger or turbo gives! i have a exhaust, intake, and hypertech programer. what would be the best thing to do? i plan to do a mass air flow sensor, throttle body spacer, maybe nitrious. what things would work well id i turboed or charged my truck? what should i do to get more power and to be quicker?
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member

It depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. Since you pull large trailers, I would be nervous about turbo charging due to heat issues. In addition, you would have near instant boost with a supercharger. If you did go turbo, than you need to make sure that you use a turbo that isn't too large, but at the same time not too small. Too large and you end up with turbo lag that can make it a pain to get moving from a stand still. If you go too small, than you either burn up the turbo or piston rings from too much heat.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

turbo or supercharger

Did some 3/4ton Suburbans that towed travel trailers with Whipple Superchargers and customers loved em. The supercharger starts making power as soon as you hit the trottle. Kits were complete and easy install, about a day.
  4. chevymon

chevymon New Member

did u? so although those were surburbans their basically the same thing! that helps me out alot. thank you very much. any paticular brand of supercharger i should check out?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Definately Supercharged, power starts coming on a little above Idle.
    I've got a Supercharger on my 97 2500 7.4 ltr Suburban, it runs great right off the line, it leaves my non supercharged 7.4 ltr Suburban in the dust.

If you Supercharge you might want to look at some fuel system upgrades to get the most out of your investment.

Look at Vortech, Kenne Bell, Whipple these are just a few companies that specialize in forced induction systems.
  6. Scooter

Scooter New Member

They wouldnt make a supercharger for the 4.8 ltr would they??
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I'm pretty sure theres one on the market, check the vendors I listed above for specific aplications.
  8. r.barn

r.barn New Member

A twinscrew Supercharger would be better for towing cause builds low end torque better
    Turbo will make more power on top end for same boost level though.

Twin Screw Supercharger from www.MagnaCharger.com

Turbo from www.Trickperformanceproducts.com
    would upgrade to a t-70 or t-76 for a 6.0L motor though

Extra heat from turbos is a myth from people who have never had a turbo.

Guy on Ls1truck just did a hybrid T-76 turbo feeding into a MagnaCharge twinscrew s/c
    best of both worlds
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member

whipple supercharger

Its the one I have like it alot. s/c gives more torque right from the start. which will help you start moving those heavy trailers

Attached Files:

10. jeff652

jeff652 New Member

What would someone expect to spend (ball park) for a complete SC system? I have an 01 8.1L burban that is going to be primarily only towing our travel trailer in the very near future and I am thinking about a SC system.

Thanks!
  11. ct9a

ct9a New Member

This isn't exactly true. I have owned several turbo charged vehicles, but never a turbo truck. At lower boost levels, heat shouldn't be an issue, assuming that everything is working properly and the intercooler is doing its job. Once you start pushing air closer to the threshold of a turbo's capability then heat becomes an issue.

I have always noticed in the past that motors I installed a turbo on had higher EGT readings after than before. I can't see why this would be any different on a V8/truck than on a V6/I4/car.

Always keep in mind that there are many more things to take into consideration when going turbo than just the snail.
  12. r.barn

r.barn New Member

Everything you just complained about has to do with boosting an engine. Not just a turbo.

"pushing the threshold" on turbo means the compressor is getting inefficient. Same thing happens
    with s/c. Has everything to do with compressor inefficiency adding heat.

Of course EGT's will be high. You are shoving more air and fuel in and making a bigger bang.
    Again same factors involved whether its a turbo or s/c.
    Whole reason you run super rich air/fuel ratio under boost is too help cool EGT's

Turbo's do not add any more heat into the intake charge that an s/c.
  13. ct9a

ct9a New Member

I'm not complaining about anything. I'm merely pointing out that your statement of "extra heat from a turbo is myth" is BS. How much heat a SC creates, I'm not sure, but I do know that a turbo will add heat and increase IAT's over N/A. Have you ever grabbed the hot side of an IC on a turbo car?
  14. poncho08

poncho08 New Member

I've been looking at the new supercharger from vortex for my truck and it's probably around $6000 not including the install time which they say is about 10 hours.
  15. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

a super charger is good for low end rpm range. a turbo is good for high end rpm's like when you floor it.
  16. dangerous dave

dangerous dave New Member

heres the deal with turbos, you can get stump pulling torque right off idle with a turbo. back in the old days turbos were so large that it took time for them to spool up thereby having a lag between mashed pedal and power coming on. now newer and smaller turbos spool up just off idle to 6-7000 rpm and continue to reach boost numbers in the 25-35lb range. look at big semis especially detroit engines. there are cars out there with bigger turbos on them. were talking about 12-15 liter engines 800+ cubic inches. these turbos are reaching max boost at 1300 rpm and sustaining it through 2100 rpm. they are using smaller turbos that spool up fast and have the capacity to raise the torque and hp ratings 2200 tqe and 600+hp. for a pulling truck you would want a smaller turbo that spools quick. a charge air cooler would be best suited but water to air could work. you will get higher exhaust temps as with a supercharger. also there is no parasitic loss oh hp as the turbo is exhaust driven and a supercharger is belt driven, you'll want to keep the boost pressure around 6-8 lbs and add a pyrometer to moniter exhaust temps. the extra heat can be handled by covering the exhaust side with header wrap. just watch your pyro and you should be a whole lot happier than dealing with a supercharger. look at the worlds fastest street cars..they are running turbos. some even bigger that the one i have on my truck. you will have to learn how to driva a turbo motor because they are not the same. with a turbo you will gain all through the rpm band. smaller turbo =fast boost, low end power, mid range good power, powere on the top end is limited but improved over natural aspiration. big turbo =spools slower low end minimal gains, excellant mid range and superior top end power. stay away from a supercharger. most power adders come from diesel engines. back in the day they had blowers, now they use turbos. there is a reason