1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turbo or Supercharger???????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevymon, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chevymon

chevymon New Member

Hey i have a 06 6.0 vortec, i pull big 5th wheel trailers, goosenecks, and bumper pulls. i love my truck but want to get that big power a supercharger or turbo gives! i have a exhaust, intake, and hypertech programer. what would be the best thing to do? i plan to do a mass air flow sensor, throttle body spacer, maybe nitrious. what things would work well id i turboed or charged my truck? what should i do to get more power and to be quicker?
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

It depends on what you plan on doing with the truck. Since you pull large trailers, I would be nervous about turbo charging due to heat issues. In addition, you would have near instant boost with a supercharger. If you did go turbo, than you need to make sure that you use a turbo that isn't too large, but at the same time not too small. Too large and you end up with turbo lag that can make it a pain to get moving from a stand still. If you go too small, than you either burn up the turbo or piston rings from too much heat.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

turbo or supercharger

Did some 3/4ton Suburbans that towed travel trailers with Whipple Superchargers and customers loved em. The supercharger starts making power as soon as you hit the trottle. Kits were complete and easy install, about a day.
  4. chevymon

chevymon New Member

did u? so although those were surburbans their basically the same thing! that helps me out alot. thank you very much. any paticular brand of supercharger i should check out?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Definately Supercharged, power starts coming on a little above Idle.
    I've got a Supercharger on my 97 2500 7.4 ltr Suburban, it runs great right off the line, it leaves my non supercharged 7.4 ltr Suburban in the dust.

If you Supercharge you might want to look at some fuel system upgrades to get the most out of your investment.

Look at Vortech, Kenne Bell, Whipple these are just a few companies that specialize in forced induction systems.
  6. Scooter

Scooter New Member

They wouldnt make a supercharger for the 4.8 ltr would they??
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm pretty sure theres one on the market, check the vendors I listed above for specific aplications.
  8. r.barn

r.barn New Member

A twinscrew Supercharger would be better for towing cause builds low end torque better
    Turbo will make more power on top end for same boost level though.

Twin Screw Supercharger from www.MagnaCharger.com

Turbo from www.Trickperformanceproducts.com
    would upgrade to a t-70 or t-76 for a 6.0L motor though

Extra heat from turbos is a myth from people who have never had a turbo.

Guy on Ls1truck just did a hybrid T-76 turbo feeding into a MagnaCharge twinscrew s/c
    best of both worlds
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member

whipple supercharger

Its the one I have like it alot. s/c gives more torque right from the start. which will help you start moving those heavy trailers

Attached Files:

10. jeff652

jeff652 New Member

What would someone expect to spend (ball park) for a complete SC system? I have an 01 8.1L burban that is going to be primarily only towing our travel trailer in the very near future and I am thinking about a SC system.

Thanks!