1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turbo vs Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Silverado1500, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 New Member 100 Posts

what would be best for a truck? i hear superchargers can take some power off the engine and turbos just use free energy. my question is, what would you rather have?
    i have just always wondered about this one
  2. Kyles03

Kyles03 New Member

Either one I would take. But if i were to spend the money I would get a turbo.
  3. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

This is an age old debate. IMO, a centrifical supercharger is the best of both worlds, ie, an ATI Procharger. Yes, superchargers do take some power to operate but it is nothing compared to the gains. For instance, if you just added a blower and got a 150rwhp gain, that's all that matters, who cares if it took 60 or so in the process, you still got 150!!!!!!!!!!

So, in my first hand opinion, a supercharger is the way to go. Here's my proof :great:

YouTube- Track day Sept, 2009
  4. Gambit

Gambit New Member 100 Posts

I agree with TYMBOM. Supercharger is the way to go because it is instintanious power. You step on the throttle and you are gone. A turbo uses "free energy" by using the exhaust gases that your engine already produces to spool up the turbine to provide the forced air. the problem with this though is that to get a turbo big enough to really do anythng for you V-8 truck it takes some time to spool that thing up this is called "boost lag." The fact that the supercharger is belt driven means that it spools up with your engine revving.

They both have their ups and downs. You can get more psi and boost from a turbo but you have to wait for it and you have to get modified exhaust manifolds to get the turbo set up. The ones that attach to your talipipe are pretty useless in my opinion if you are going to spend that kind of money get a supercharger that is made for your truck and bolts right on.

Just my Opinion. Dont want to start a Turbo Vs. Supercharger War. I have owned both and installed both. Turbo was better for the 4 banger import that is meant to revv higher.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have one truck running a turbo and one truck running a supercharger and a boat that has used both, the boat originally had a turbo but I changed it over due to reasons previously mentioned.
    A supercharger creates HP from idle to the top of the RPM scale, a turbo starts higher in the RPM band depending on how its set-up, but it will never pull HP from idle on, it cant be set-up that way.
    The real decision between a Supercharger and a Turbo is what your planning on using the truck for, both methods of forced induction make lots of useable power, but in different RPM ranges.
  6. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

To a certain extent. A centrifical supercharger will continue to make power into high rpm like a turbo. That is why I chose a Procharger. Other types like twin screw blowers are instant power but do drop off in high rpm.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

i would choose a supercharger because they make instant power and you dont have to wait on it like a turbo and in my opinion, superchargers are easier to install. And plus they make more low end.
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Twin screws are def easier to install. Once you get into custom setups they are all a PITA, lol.
  9. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member 100 Posts

We have superchargers on 3 of our vehicles, love them! :great: Perfect for a DD, and can make some serious power at the track :rules:
  10. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 New Member 100 Posts

what do you mean by DD?