1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turbo.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Reapertura, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Reapertura

Reapertura New Member

I am wanting to put a turbo on my 2003 silverado 2500hd it has the towing package and a 6liter v8. Engine and transmission have 92*** miles on it. It has straight piped exhaust running 2 cherry bombs.I do not want to have to beef up the motor but will if i have to. What size turbo could i run and what gain will i be looking at. Thank you
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Sorry, I can't tell you what size to run, but I'd like to let you know to get the most out of it, you would probably want to have your ECM reprogrammed.
  3. Reapertura

Reapertura New Member

Thank you alot. as far as the tune i am wanting to get a superchips cortex programmer asap. but probaly turbo first
  4. lvz2ryd

lvz2ryd New Member

This is the turbo Im saving my money for, http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Alright dumb question here but why are you aiming for a turbo??? Why not a supercharger? They have more power right off the line since a turbo has to spool. Also my superchargers actually keep the motor happy for longer periods and you wont need to deal with near as much plumming...
  6. lvz2ryd

lvz2ryd New Member

I dont really know why i wanna go with a turbo..? I have listened and participated in lots of arguments about which type of forced induction to go with. IMO i think if you want longevity, and good performance, turbo is a good way to go. I like working on my vehicles, so all the work involved in plumbing a turbo sounds fun. and WTF does "Also my superchargers actually keep the motor happy for longer periods" mean?
  7. murdog94

That was a typing error.. the correct wording was most superchargers keep the motor happy. Meaning that the smooth and usually lower boost levels allow for a smoother increase in power which is good for most V-8 Engines and head gaskets...
  8. lvz2ryd

lvz2ryd New Member

Roger that, I was wondering if YOU had a stash of sweet SC's laying round or something. And Roger that on the low boost levels, the tuneabiliy of a turbo is nice, and there is no belt, just recycled air.etc,etc...
    Some mods all depend on the application in which a person plans on using the vehicle for.
  9. murdog94

Agreed. Hence why i was asking since most people use their Trucks for pulling, and the smoother torque curve allow for getting a loaded truck up to speed.