1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

turn key and then

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cobra2end, Nov 13, 2010.

1. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok so i have been told its normal with gm v8s that when you first start them to have a knock knock knock sound. does any one else have this issue for its starting to drive me nuts. nothing worse then going out after work and starting truck and having it sound so bad. A friend of mine has a 99 with the 5.3 and his does the same thing knocks till it warms up any idea
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If it is a knock, it is bad, if it is a tick is the lifters and very common with the vortec motors.
  3. cobra2end

any ideas on how to get rid of it i tried running z max and WILL NOT do that again my truck started eating oil like gas got that to stop with restore and 5 oil changes later
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well how many miles do you have one it? because you could try going to synthetic oil, but more than likely its just a deal with it thing.
  5. cobra2end

its got 162 and some change. i does not do it right after oilchange. take prob 10 starts and a few trips to do it. started running edge oil and all it seems to do is run out the cooler lines faster.
  6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I think what you are experiencing is "piston slap" when cold & during warm up. If it was the valve lifters it would go away within a minute or so. Knocks that last until warmup is pistion knock/slap due to composition & style of pistons. GM knows about this & there have been many GM technical bulletins & many are posted on this site. Use the "search" function at the top of the page & enter "piston slap", "piston knock", "engine knock cold" etc. There are many good write ups previously on this site about your problem.