1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turn Signals and flashers not working in '02 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JulieMcD, Aug 13, 2010.

1. JulieMcD

JulieMcD New Member

Hello! Sorry I haven't introduced myself, I just purchased a Silverado a couple days ago from a used car dealership (did get it checked out by mechanic), and I'm starting to work on some known (hopefully minor) problems. We bought the truck to pull a horse trailer. The biggest and most urgent issue is the turn signals, which I hope is actually relatively easy to fix.

-Neither hazards or turn signals work, neither light up the bulbs at all, not coming on at all
    -
    -Checked all fuses, bulbs, replaced flasher. No change
    -All other lights work, brake lights work, all other controls from the turn signal switch work.

Should I go ahead and replace the turn signal switch? Since the part itself it a bit pricey, I'm trying to make sure that's the right thing to do before I start pulling things apart. We're thinking it's not an issue with wiring/grounding because all the other lights in the truck (both front and rear) are fully functional. Is that an OK assumption to make?

Thanks so much for your help/comments! I hope I put this in the right thread, I'll have to read through the site more as I get to know my new truck!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

OK dumb question i know that in my blazer there are two different flashers and if one or the other is out neither work.
  3. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC. Murdog is one of the resident experts - I think he's even told someone before that the "controller uses 5 screws with 1/4" socket heads spaced .75 inches apart using attachment arm (part #498728-48 if memory serves me correctly).."...etc etc etc. He seems to be able to diagnose and fix a LOT! Just thought I'd give you props, Mike!

Julie on your issue I would hesitate a guess that the switch isn't the problem. If you are having trouble with the hazards not working as well, unless your truck is totally different than what I've seen in other vehicles, the switch wouldn't have anything to do with hazards. Therefore it would seem you have a problem with the flasher/flashing unit/circuit itself.

Do you have a fuse block under the hood as well? I'm not sure AT ALL but I do believe that my truck, when I was playing in there, had a fuse and/or relay under the hood that had something to do with lights. Just total shot in the dark here.

I hope you get your issue resolved. Post pictures of your HD when you have a little bit of time!
  4. JulieMcD

JulieMcD New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I have a feeling I might need a bunch of advice from you guys in the future.

I don't think there are two flashers, at least the repair manual doesn't say there are. I'm no expert on these things so I could be wrong.
    Here's a link to what we were thinking of replacing, or at least pulling out and taking a look at it- the switch for the hazards and the turn signals seem to go through here. http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpages/partinfo_resize/DUS/D6257C.jpg

We checked all the fuses under the hood and in the dash, and we replaced the blown ones (the blinker/hazard ones were fine).

I can add a squealing belt (or something) to the list of things that need to be repaired. It's rhythmical, gets louder with acceleration but not faster, and goes away after the engine has run for a minute or two. Sometimes it'll periodically come back. When the truck isn't moving turning the steering wheel is very difficult- my boyfriend is thinking the power steering belt might be at fault.
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you're lucky enough to have a good one nearby, I'd say go to a salvage yard and pull one out of a truck for a quick diagnosis. Now that I see it in a picture, it's looking like it might be the problem. Just odd, though, that it's everything but lights that blink.

A "you pull it" type yard is awesome to have nearby....wish we had them around here. I miss the CITY!

Anyway... barring that, I had a quick look and ebay has them for +/- $70. At worse you still didn't fix the problem but have a new switch and, now, a back up. At best you've found and fixed your problem.

Hopefully someone else here can give you a hand with your problem that may have a better idea of what might be wrong.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Im thinking it could be the switch now that i am seeing it is a one piece unit and i am sure that power runs from the flashers to the blinkers. Those multi function switches are fairly common to fail on your model of truck (mine failed when my cruise quit working)
    As the squeeling belt there is a chance it is the AC belt tensioner/AC belt. That is another common wear component.