Turning 8ft bed to 6 ft bed

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dustin144, Sep 5, 2008.

1. dustin144

dustin144 New Member

can someone with a 8 ft bed cut it to make a six foot or buy 6 foot bed that will bolt on
    thanks

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm not sure, but I don't think they'll bolt up, at least without any huge gaps somewhere. But, this begs the question, why do you want to put a shorter bed on a long-bed long-wheelbase truck?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You're going to have to do something with the extra chasis length from the rear of the cab to the bumper. You can chop that down I suppose but it affects everything from the exhaust to the driveline, etc.

4. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

the extra foot is added in front and rear of the frame (bed) and you would have to cut and weld the frame in both spots for it to work correctly. you can butch it together but if it were me i get a different truck with the correct bed it would be alot less hassle....mike

6. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ya, what they said.

Actually, Dustin, I was going to suggest that you post what your ideas are on what you are trying to accomplish and that may help everyone answer your question a little more specifically and/or get you some alternate ideas to get you what you want but in a different way.

Toodles,

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. dustin144

dustin144 New Member

my grandpop gave me a 1500 with a 5.3 and a 8 ft bed its just a haslle to park at school and i like the look of a 6 ft bed and the power of a 5.3

8. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you can custom make a bed or a flat or stake bed........or call a fiberglass bed manufacture and see if they can help make a bed for you then cut the frame off the rear end and fab a bumper---still alot of work for me.......mike

9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It sounds to me like you want an entirely different truck. 2wd, low, short bed... I understand that it was given to you and that your not going to be running out and buying a new truck but maybe find one dirt cheap with a blown motor and throw the 5.3 in there. :neutral:

10. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

... Or just sell it on Craigslist and buy what you want...

The guys on trucks have hundreds of thousands of dollars in tools at their disposal along with highly skilled people behind the scenes. This isn't a project you are going to do with a sawzall, 110 Volt welder and a can of Bondo.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008