1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turning a Sub into an RV

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Michael Johnson, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson New Member

I recently bought a 1991 Suburban and after having it inspected by a mechanic I am in the process of turning it into a mini RV. I took out the third row seat and put a sleeping platform over the passenger side wheel well with the 2nd row seat folded down. I am also making a cooking and storage area over the drivers side wheel well and spare tire area. Just want to know if any body else has done this with a Burb.
  2. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Michael. I don't know if anyone here has done that but it sounds doable. Are you going to have a sink? Post some pics of the mods as you go along..
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Michael
    Welcome!
    I like your idea!
    I haven't done what you have done, but we use the 98 Suburban as a poor man's RV when we drive from New Orleans to Flagstaff AZ.
    I've pulled the third row and the single seat behind the passengers side and used plywood to span what that seat would have spanned when the second row was folded forward. We use the volume under the plywood for storage-tools etc.
    We throw a double mattress in the back and sleep(2 adults leggy greyhound) at rast stops. It saves $$, and time-I don't have to load unload like I do if we checked into a motel. We just let it idle to run the AC- takes abour .7 gph at idle with AC- figure 4 gallons for 6 hours. You do have to be careful-park with wind and carbon monoxide in mind.Get the exhaust to blow downwind. Normally wind will blow the same direction all night-not always, but usually.
    Maybe keep windows in front cracked.

I like your idea.Suburbans strike me as great platforms for RVs-Cheap to buy- used-and cheap to maintain, The BIG STUFF- motor,trans, rear end, steering, brakes,AC is pretty reliable.
    Charlie
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! Sounds like a great project! Be sure and take some pictures.
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  7. Michael Johnson

I got the 91 for a grand and the man that sold it to me owns a mexican cafe and gave me a 40 dollar gift certificate for supper so I guess I got it for 960.00. Anyway the mechanic that I had check it out offered me 2K for it so I think I got a good deal. Yes there will be a sink. Just a stainless steel salad bowl set in a cut out over the spare tire. Should be able to fill it up, wash and then just dump it out the back. I hadn't thought about a co sensor but it makes sense. I live in north Idaho so my issue is more about staying warm than it is about staying cool but both issues have the same result. I spent most of 6 months last year camping around the country, mostly on a motorcycle but I am just getting too old to keep that up so now it is a poor mans RV:)
  8. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord New Member

Can't wait to see pics of the transformation!
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Boy great minds must think alike!! Ha,ha.
    I love this idea.
    Suburbans are big and can carry everything you need.
    The advantage of a Suburban over a van is there are a lot more Suburbans-in decent shape-available as a starting point,and the Subs are generally higher trim, more comfortable better seats(I'm old I like good seats with some adj)-AND IN GENERAL THE SUBS are much easier to work on, and they get better MPG!!
    Subs are usually cheaper than vans, but certainly more available-especially if you want a 4X4!!

I love this idea.
    Will you have a toilet? We always stop at rest stops, so we don't need one, but a little chemical toilet(just a seat with a bag and some chemicals/deodorizers) shouldn't be hard.

We want pictures when you get the chance!

Thanks
    Charlie
  10. Michael Johnson

I don't think I will add a toilet (I have too good a sense of smell). I will mostly be either at a rest stop, campground or out in the National Forest which unfortunately means a hole in the ground, but you get the idea. I also looked at vans but there is just too many times that I need the 4X4 and those are hard to find.