1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

turning off accessory power outlets when truck is not running

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by etpn13, May 23, 2009.

1. etpn13

etpn13 Member

does anyone know if there is a way to keep power from running to the accessory power outlets when the truck is not running? i have my gps plugged in and i dont want the battery to run down. i wonder why gm's power outlets keep power all the time but toyotas and nissans dont.

2. INDEED

INDEED New Member

my 03 dakota also was auto controlled, well the one by the cup holder under the dash, the one in the center console was constant powered. Worked out well for my application!

Now the 07 silvy...bah, just got it last week and have yet to look into it but its on my very long list of "things to do to the truck".

nate

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you're that worried about it, just unplug it...

BTW, it won't draw as much power as say the radio's memory.

4. etpn13

etpn13 Member

yeah i have been unplugging it but just wondered if there was a way to turn it off like turning off the change oil light by pressing the gas pedal 4 times or turning off the auto headlights by pressing the dome light button 4 times or whatever. thought maybe i could stand on my head and rub my stomach 3 times and touch the power outlet 3 times or something like that and get it to turn off when the engine is off lol

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It wouldn't be very difficult to wire a relay in the circuit to have it work automatically. Of course, as soon as you do that, you'll wish it were back the old way.......:sarcastic:

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You'll have to rewire it.
    Or add an aftermarket plug thats fed through a keyed hot from the fuse box.

7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Just a thought and Amy you might be able to help with this since you just did your lights could you use a relay like folks use for their driving lights.
    Make it where if there is no power on the one side then the other circuit is off also like you cant turn on your driving lights unless your highbeams are on.

Wouldnt even need to cut anything just make some jumpers with spade connectors I would think.

http://www.computingunplugged.com/issues/issue200507/00001447001.html

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ughm...............well..........I really don't know. :neutral:

All of my lights are wired seperately with fuses and relays, I never splice into the factory wiring ever. I don't see why you can't just unplug the GPS, to each there own I guess. good luck with that.