1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Turning signals in mirrors

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Red Z71 Max, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a truck that is NOT equipped with turning signals in the side mirrors. I was wondering if I purchased new nirrors with the turn signals in them, will they work or is each truck equipped with a special wiring harness for various features??? My 09 had them and I kind of liked them My 11 doesn't and I was thinking about making the upgrade if its possible. Maybe Mike or one the other guys can answer my question!! Thanks
  2. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

I'm kind of interested in this as well. Of course, I don't have any power or accessory options so I think I will be a little more involved in it but am still curious on what it might take to do this mod.
  3. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

There is a good chance if your truck did not come equipped with turn signal mirrors your current mirror harness will NOT be equipped with that feature. Almost all aftermarket turn signal mirrors come with instructions on how to wire them into your existing wiring for the truck turn signals.

good Luck and post some pics when you get them installed!
  4. Red Z71 Max

I did find that I have the DL8 mirror package on my truck which is power/ heated mirrors. No turn signals or power folding. Just wondering if I getting mirrors with turning signals if they will flash or just plain old not work??
  5. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member

Plug and play brother. They will indeed work. I did this with my tows I have now.
  6. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

If you get aftermarket mirrors with turn signal they will have instructions on how to connect the turn signals in the mirror. If you buy OEM it could still be done but require some additional ingenuity to make it work.

Shawn S

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Did you have the OEM turn signal mirror and upgraded to the tow mirrors?
  7. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. Plug them in and the signals will work. No extra wiring....no flash. This mod has been documented countless times on various forums. The signals in my tows work and I only had power/heat before with no signals.
  8. Red Z71 Max

Thank you Blackout 07!!! You answered my question!!
  9. ljmueller

ljmueller Member ROTM Winner

Yep, Blackout is right. The truck signals are wired to the plug in the door, the plug on the mirror without turns just doesn't have that pin in the plug. That's how mine worked anyway. You should go with the tow mirror upgrade.
  10. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member

Agreed. Tows would look good.