1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Twist in bed?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by kekolsta, Nov 7, 2008.

1. kekolsta

kekolsta New Member

Hey,

Just bought a 2004 Silverado extended cab and have noticed since I have a rear-window defroster (with the lines going across the window) that the rear left side of the pickup bed sits higher than than the right side -- this goes for all types of roads, right or left side of the road, and when the truck is sitting still. Is there any way I can attempt to correct this?

Thanks for your ideas.
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have never hear of the rear defroster impacting the bed that way. :neutral: Hopefully someone will chime in.
  3. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

LOL the defroster twisting a bed. Genious

Maybe your defroster lines are crooked? Also check your bed mounts and see if everythings tightened up and theres nothing extra inbetween the bed and chassi, other than normal mounting hardware, then take it to a body shop. You might have a twisted frame? I'm not sure if a twisted frame would do that.
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do your bodylines on both sides of the box match up with the cab?
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

are you saying the defroster lines are your reasoning in sayin the bed is not correct??
    i agree w dary check the lines
    has the truck been wrecked?
  6. ewarz

ewarz Rockstar

I think he is using the defroster lines as a "visual level" to determine that the bed might be crooked.

Grab yourself a tape measure and check the distance between the floor and the rear fenders in various locations on both sides of the bed to compare. Also measure diagonally from the top corner to corner to make sure the bed square.

Most shops will also check the frame fro free, being a safety issue.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Park the truck on a flat surface and break out a construction level. Start by checking if the defroster is on the window straight. Then check along the top of the bed rails the front bed bulkhead and the tailgate. Compare the bed sides with one another and the bulkhead, tailgate and window lines with one another.

Its not unheard of for trucks to sit a little crooked for a few reasons, they have long frames that are subject to warpage, theres a big weight difference between a fully fueled truck and one with an empty tank, and when you add a driver this makes an even bigger difference.

When parked flat with a 1/2 tank of fuel there should be minor differences with the level, but for the most part you readings from side to side and front to back should be real close.
    Also check the bed mounts underneath, maybe a mounts broken loose or the body pucks are severly worn. Dont forget to check the cab mounts as the problem could be there.
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Tim. Many beds becme tweaked at the frame over time. In fact run a measuring tape at the two (left and right ends) from the bed rail to the window striping and you will see that they ar off. Then go check a buddies turck and you will probably see the same thing.
    My 1995 F-150 did the same thing, I noticed it on almost every F150 since.