Twitching/vibrating fuel gauge - Not the fuel pump assembly.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Springthing, Sep 24, 2008.

Newest Photos

1. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok, here's the situation to recap:

'99 suburban bought not all too long ago in need of a few fixes. This particular one deals with the fuel gauge needle. Tied in with another issue.

Since having bought the 'burban the fuel gauges buzzes really fast back and forth. I don't think I trust it's reading either. Although it shows almost full when I actually fill up, when it gets near empty it starts to be more erratic and will actually move from E to partially full to totally full to way back down to E, and then a spike to F.. etc etc.

Because of the other issue stated, (see that issue here: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14894 ) I figured I'd try the fuel pump assembly. I went with the advice that the pump assembly may be the cause of it all.

Unfortunately, with having swapped out the entire assembly with a new one, the problem persists. I got back in the driver's seat, started the truck up and there went the needle again.. *buzzzzzzzzzzz*

So now I'm back to ask for advice and opinions as to what you may think I want to check on next. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could cause the problem of the buzzing fuel gauge?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Totally apologize, forgot the information had been taken out of the signature.

7.4 vortec, automatic wiith 160k, single exhaust.
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've heard the gauge cluster itself can go bad causing it to vibrate really fast. My 99 does the same thing and only moves between full and half a tank.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you need a new cluster my friend, thats the same thing mine did $350 bucks later all fixed and the dealer has to do it to set the odometer on your truck as well, they can test it at the dealer as well for a modest 60- 90 bucks, my dealer waived that fee when I replaced it the next day