1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Two 12s for Silverado Extended Cab

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by blueZ71, Feb 14, 2009.

1. blueZ71

blueZ71 New Member 100 Posts

I'm looking to put two 12's into my 2000 extended cab. If I can do it for right around 200 I'll be happy; this includes the subs and the box. I will either steal an amp or just tell people I've got two 12's and leave out the fact that they don't have power... Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I've spent a good portion of my night looking at crutchfield and typing model numbers into google with little progress. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I want dual voice coil and somewhere around a 6 inch mounting depth for this sort of application.

I'd like to build the box myself too I've got the time and the tools so why not. It'd be great if I could get some tips from someone that has already built a box for their extended cab and what they would/would not do if they had it to do again.

Also, any feedback on power acoustik? I've never heard of them in my life and neither has anyone in the house. I know I can trust Pioner, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate.. but that's about as far as my trust goes. Please, let me know how your experiences with other brands have been.
  2. leadpan101

leadpan101 New Member

Hey, i have 2 12' power acoustiks(bl-12) in my truck under the seat, never had a problem with them, and the sound really good, the run at 300 rms a piece, if you look on google, you can find them for about 30-40 bucks a piece, as for an amp, check www.ikesound.com, they have good prices on everything but kicker. and as for dvc, doesn't matter, but most power acoustiks are dvc, and depending on what amp you get depends on what ohm you need.
  3. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member 100 Posts

Depending on the wattage, they will freeze easily. If you are doing low wattage (300-500 rms) then you are good. Anything above that and you better grab a better woofer.
    JL Audio
    Sound Stream
    Orion (The HCCA's pound something fierce!)
    Kicker
    Pioneer premier series
    I grabbed some Kenwoods and a box for 200 and it sounds ok. Had to turn they amp waaay down to accommodate them but they serve their purpose until I can grab some JL Audio 12w 7's.
  4. leadpan101

leadpan101 New Member

no doubt, if you have the money(i had 3 JL W0's in a box in my accord, loved them)
  5. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

JL audio is definately the way to go, but it wont fit your budget. i went to my local shop, and they ordered a box for my truck (2000 extended cab) that fits under my seat. i went with the down firing sealed box. they also have up firing, and you might find some fron firing boxes. all come wth a sealed or ported option. the box was $100. i got 2 12" kicker comp vr woofers on a 1200 watt power acoustik amp. really good sound. if you can keep all your equipment brands the same, your sound will usually saty at a better quality, but i went with good for less. and yes you do want to go with dual voice coils. if you want the phone number to the audio shop, pm me and i will give you their number so you can call them and get the product for reference to your local audio shop.

also if you want pics, i think i have them in my albums. i know they are on my myspace. www.myspace.com/my_b0y_blue
  6. blueZ71

In that case I'll probably end up buying two of those you can't beat the price.. Has anyone built a box for an extended cab or is it more cost effective to just cough up 100 bucks for one? I'm actually excited by that price tag I thought they were closer to 180 which is my total budget for this project..

Stillmatic what do you mean when you say freezing? I've heard of blowing a speaker but never freezing?

What are the pros and cons of upfiring vs downfiring vs front firing boxes? I thought subwoofers put out sound waves so low that the direction of the speaker did not matter because it is inaudible to the human ear?

Thanks for all the help guys!
  7. cascott325

i cant get very technical with this, but i do know it matters. the materials the sound waves have to bounce off of, and the distances away from those materials will greatly affect the sound. alot of people may not notice, but to a trained ear, you can hear differences. i chose downfiring for the simple reason that i didnt want to have my seat up and end up punching a hole in one of the subs. i always have stuff in the floor board, and i may have my seat up with stuff on top of the box. it was a conservative decision only. the floor boards are close, so the sound distribution will be even and clean. i hope this helps, i may be able to better describe if i get a differently worded question
  8. blueZ71

What would be the best sounding setup? Front firing I assume? And if you've got the number to that audio shop that would be great. Thanks!
  9. cascott325

(502) 875-2886
    they can tell you more accurate results. john widener is who i usually deal with b/c i graduated with his little brother. tell him chris scott has the box you are talking about if he remembers
  10. cascott325

actually thought that this may help a litle better. i went out to the truck and pulled a sticker off the box, and i lucked out. it has a website on it. try www.audioenhancers.com