1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Typhoon clone

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by 89Blaze925, Mar 22, 2013.

1. 89Blaze925

89Blaze925 New Member

I have an 89 s10 Blazer with the 1st Generation TBI 4.3L V6 (non vortec)
    I recently got the urge to see if it was possible to take MY motor, do the necessary modifications and have a "Chevy Typhoon Clone." After some research it seems to me the factory typhoons have beefier internals, a Chevy Astro L35 intake, a 80-90s Corvette throttle body, and of course a Turbo/inter cooler.
    Now, I need help from all yu "SyTy" owners and fanatics out there to lemme know everything I'm missing as far as parts, and where to get wiring harnesses/ECU's, and to tell me in general if this is even possible.

**PLEASE NO FIGHTING AMONGST POSTERS HERE I NEED EVERYONE'S OPINION AND INFORMATION HERE SO THERE IS NO WRONG ANSWERS. THANKS**
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you got the funds it can be done.. Find a old Trans Am GTA or Grand Natal motor to put in..
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

yea in the long run it would be easier rebuilding one of those engines rather than trying to track down parts that have been out of production for years.
    Look at the outlaw and circle track racing sites the non vortec 4.3 was a popular build for outlaw cars and GM even sold off the shelf race parts for them in the late 80's. At one time they had a GM Performance catalog full of parts to build.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I know its fun to do somthing different and building a typhoon clone engine would be, but that will cost ya more then if you just swapped in a 350, there are so many kits for your specific application, you can find an old 350 anywhere and rebuild them very reasonably. Also finding a tranny for the 350 would be easy as well. I know in my area you can find a 350 and 350/400 turbo tranny combo in the $500 range, and considering what a turbo, intercooler, plumbing, upgrades for fuel injection to handle the turbo and computer/dyno time to get it dialed in, you can invest half of that and have great V8 power. as mentioned above to get a GTA or GN motor, well if you actually found one (they are a 3.8) it would be a small fortune just for the motor, they are rare and people selling them know it. Good Luck in whatever you choose!!
  5. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I hope you get the answers you are looking for, good luck!
  6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I want a parts list for a 1500 Typhoon clone... apparently its not possible due to the extra weight, but the frame is stronger and heavier so put a bigger engine in it :)