1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Typical awkward "Hello assembled Forum inhabitants" thread!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Red_October, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Red_October

Red_October New Member

Hello all; I'm quite obviously new here.
    I'm a bit excstatic at the moment; I just took delivery of my first Suburban. I purchased it used for a very reasonable sum indeed (I believe someone took a bath on it and the dealership then did the same when they couldn't shift it). Details and questions will be in the appropriate forum but the funny story goes here.

I took it for a test drive, having went to see it before I left for the weekend for the Cape. The dealership where I bought it (Iversen Ford in Billerica) practices the "Puppydog close" (I used to sell cars); i.e. they let you take it home so you can fall in love with it. Well I took it home about 1100 that morning, and proceeded to carry on getting ready for the trip. One thing I wanted to do was head to a particular store and buy a case of a particular soda, which I did. After loading the soda I went back to start it up... an it wouldn't start. So I spend about 5 minutes looking for a kill switch. I can't find it, so I call the dealership; they have no idea, but say they're sending someone.

I find the kill switch... or something... under the dash. It has no effect in either position, so I go to the battery, and discover that the hot terminal has broken clean off. I call the dealership back to tell them what happened; someone is on their way, etc. For the first 30 minutes or so I confidently turn down jump starts. By the time I'm thuroughly sick of waiting in a hot, completely inoperative car, I'm getting no further offers of jump starts and no wrecker guy. Eventually he shows, and he refuses to jump it, he wants to tow it. He then says he wants to tow it front-down.
    "Isn't that bad for it?" I ask.
    "I've been towing for 25 years!" he says; in other words "of course you're right, but I'm lazy, so shut up."
    "Fine" I say, "It's not my car, if you **** it up I just won't buy it. Go ahead and do whatever you want." He tows it front down, and, sure enough, 200 feet down the road and it's all over the place, the wheel hasn't locked for whatever reason, so he blocks the wheel by strapping it in place with the safety belt... Don't hire Winning's Auto if you need a tow!

Suffice it to say It didn't get ****ed up and I got a 'new' truck with a new battery, which your amazing powers of observation probabyl tell you because I'm here!

Cheers all!
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site and congrat's on the new Sub'! Sounds like it was meant to be yours, doesn't it? The "327" is the 5.3L which replaced the old 350ci/5.7L, I think in 2000. Mine has just turned 104,000 and still going great! The Sub's are selling very cheap around here after gas prices started up, some good buys out there right now! Have fun!
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That's great, there are some good deals to be had right now on the big Subs. Everything is on sale right now! ;-)

:sign0016:
  4. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: to the forum and congrats on the new Suburban!! Sounds like you went through quite an ordeal. I probably would have been scared away from it after all that!
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the site!
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wow, what a story...Welcome to GMTC!
  7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016:
  8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:sign0016: and congrats on the new truck. very entertaining story as well :lol::lol:
  9. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

nice, i would have had them knock off a few more bucks for the ordeal, and the shoddy service, but hey, thats just me
  10. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard! I think I found my new favourite member. I like the sarcasm and story telling.