Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Typical Suburban problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by compizer, May 8, 2010.

1. compizer

compizer New Member

Hi everybody!

I'm a german graduate student, who will live 7 months in PA for a research programm from august on. Of course, i do need a car. And my aim is to get a full size vehicle like a suburban. after my programm finishs, i'll go on a 4 weeks trip with 4 guys, so i need the size :cool:

Caused to my limited financial situation the interesting suburbans are 90s models. Do any typical problems exist about this kind of suburbans (like drivetrain, rust, ...)?
    The cars which are listed online have a mileage of 180k to 220k. Is there any mileage restriction due to your experience, which a suburban should not take? i don't mean consumption items like breaks, damper,....

Thanks a lot for your answers!

markus

PS: Sorry for possible english failures! :)

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Being you mention financial situation something to take note of is that Suburbans dont get real good mileage. Its a great vehicle to travel with as far as interior and storage room though.
    High vehicle mileage isnt the biggest factor when looking at used Suburbans, condition and maintenance performed would be more of a consideration.

3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

My biggest problem is keeping the tank full of gas.
    And my foot off the gas pedal.. Do a Carfax & trust no one..

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I imagine a German is used to paying high prices for fuel. US gas prices look like a bargain compared to gas in Germany at nearly $6 US/gal.

Try to buy the a low mileage vehicle. Most burbs from the north and eastern states will have rust. Remember you should be able to sell it for close to what you buy it for, so the actual cost of ownership will be low. (Unless you plan on shipping it home.)

Prices in the $4 - $5k range.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1715483303.html
    Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT - $3990

Mileage : 64,500
    Exterior Color Black
    Transmission Automatic
    Drive Type 4 WHEEL DRIVE
    Fuel Type Gasoline

CONTACT ME : jefftibb27@aol.com

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PostingID: 1715483303

5. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

that sounds to good to be true..

6. compizer

compizer New Member

First of all i want to thank you again for your help!
    I want to outline your posts about possible problems:

- rust
    - mileage (what is a high mileage in miles? in germany we would say more than 200k kilometers, about 130k miles)
    - mpg (not a problem for me, it would be probably one of the last chance to get an v8 suv, as you mentioned german gas prices are quite horrible)
    - the condition in general
    - never trust a car dealer (in germany every used car must have a 6 months long warranty. i'vnt found something like that in the us, so it's no difference between buyuing a owner or dealer car?)

What's carfax? i googled it and we have no such kind of source of information. is every accident mentioned in carfax?

i will sale it after my us stay. it's another point to get an "older" car. the loss in value would be probably less, or?

is there any difference between a gmc or chevy suburban? like this:
    http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1729456539.html

thanks again!

markus

7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mileage should be calculated by dividing the miles by the number of years. So a 2000 with 100k miles is an average of 10k/yr. A 1998 with 181,453 would be about 15k/yr.

Try to look for something with 10-12k miles/yr. 15k is about avg. 20k is high mileage. (IMHO)

The 98 burb you linked to isn't a bad vehicle. 1996 and up have OBDII which allows for easier diagnosis of troubles.

Carfax http://www.carfax.com/ is a source for a vehicle's history. Not always foolproof, but definitely one tool to consider when buying a car.

Rust is pretty easy to spot. Watch out for fresh paint and undercoating. Slide underneath and you should see signs of rust if there is any.

Just a note, bring an unlocked HTC Legend with you and you should be able to sell/trade it for any high end phone for use here is the US. (PM me if you do!)

The Nexus One has built in Navigation which should help with your travels. The Droid would also be a good choice.

Any idea what part of the USA your are going to visit in your travels? Oh, that reminds me of a song that Chevrolet did as part of an advertising campaign: "See the USA in a Chevrolet"

YouTube- 1955 Chevrolet Ad: See the USA!

Here's another
    YouTube- Dinah Shore - 1959 Chevy spot

8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have 96 and 97 and the dexcool (orange) coolant destroying the intake gaskets and sludge in the radiator was the worst issues we have had.

Rear area was once described as cavernous and lol they were pretty right.

If you can get a 97-99 they updated the steering and it has a tighter turning ratio.

9. LowcountrySuburban

LowcountrySuburban New Member

Gotta be a scam.(or wrecked)
    If that's real, I'll drive to PA and buy it!

10. compizer

compizer New Member

Thanks again for your tips & tricks.

I'll stay at penn state university, so our travel area will probably be the north east states. my friends who will come to travel with me after my programm have no usa experience. so i would probably have to visit again nyc, washington dc and philly. but thats no problem for me. we'll see. i like the method to decide where to go at the beginning of a day and then just drive. i did this with my girl friend in norway, sweden and finland. and that was a great experience. :great: