U-Joint phasing on 2003 Tahoe Z71 4WD??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BillM, Jun 8, 2013.

1. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

I am still getting vibrations in my drive shaft after shortening it 3/4 of an inch. Was the stock drive shaft U-Joints phased, or aligned straight? The U-Joints are straight up after shortening, and am wondering if that was incorrect?? I've balanced the drive shaft 3 times, replaced the drive tube with new 3 inch DOM steel, and still have the vibrations starting at 60 mph and getting stronger with higher speeds. The diff is not parallel with the transfer case output. It is 2 degrees off. I am in the process of correcting that by moving the front of the diff down with some adjustable upper trailing arm links from Spohn Performance. But, can 2 degrees make that much difference? That is what is driving this phasing question.

2. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, Does anyone else have a 2003 4WD Tahoe? If there is someone out there with one, can they look at their rear wheel driveshaft for me?
    There are two U-Joints on it. One in the front, next to the transfer case output, by a possible damper; and another one next to the differential. Can you tell me if the U-Joints on your driveshaft are aligned, front to back, in the same plane?? Or, is one U-Joint rotated from the other??

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

on my 03 and 05 yukon xl's are rotated 90 degrees