1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

U-Joint phasing on 2003 Tahoe Z71 4WD??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BillM, Jun 8, 2013.

1. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

I am still getting vibrations in my drive shaft after shortening it 3/4 of an inch. Was the stock drive shaft U-Joints phased, or aligned straight? The U-Joints are straight up after shortening, and am wondering if that was incorrect?? I've balanced the drive shaft 3 times, replaced the drive tube with new 3 inch DOM steel, and still have the vibrations starting at 60 mph and getting stronger with higher speeds. The diff is not parallel with the transfer case output. It is 2 degrees off. I am in the process of correcting that by moving the front of the diff down with some adjustable upper trailing arm links from Spohn Performance. But, can 2 degrees make that much difference? That is what is driving this phasing question.
  2. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, Does anyone else have a 2003 4WD Tahoe? If there is someone out there with one, can they look at their rear wheel driveshaft for me?
    There are two U-Joints on it. One in the front, next to the transfer case output, by a possible damper; and another one next to the differential. Can you tell me if the U-Joints on your driveshaft are aligned, front to back, in the same plane?? Or, is one U-Joint rotated from the other??
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

on my 03 and 05 yukon xl's are rotated 90 degrees