1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

U-Joint replacement?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by HawaiiKid, Mar 12, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    I have a "transmission clunk" that I think is probably the ujoint. When I accelerate from a stop I can feel the drivetrain pick up a little slack before actually putting power down, and when I shift from drive to reverse there is a pretty solid "thunk" and I can see the driveshaft move a fair amount (when my friend was shifting it for me). I can also see that the u-joint at the back of the driveshaft is pretty rusted. My question is how much should it cost me to have it replaced?
  2. Coolrado

Coolrado Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It ran me around $60 at the dealer, would have done it myself but I thought I was still under warranty so I brought it in.
  3. BillNH

BillNH New Member

Its a petty easy job to do yourself. 5 min to take shaft out and maybe a couple hours if you never done it before. Just be careful not to loose the roller bearing that are in the caps.
  4. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Wow, only 60 bucks for parts and labor?
  5. Duramax04

Duramax04 Rockstar

Hopefully it is a ujoint and not excessive backlash in the rear differential which could be quite a bit more costly. Usually if you apply the emergency brake or block the wheels then put the transmission in neutral then slide under the truck and grab the driveshaft and pull it side to side and up and down and you should be able to see any movement in the u joint.
  6. Coolrado

Coolrado Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I work there so I get a little discount but yeah, parts and labor.