1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

U-Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MightyMax, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok,
    '91 Silverado, 350 V8 5.7L
    Multi joint drive shaft.
    I shreeded the rear U-joint the other night (the one connecting to the rear axle).

Now I am haveing a really hard time trying to get what I think is the proper replacement part on this thing.

The one I am replacing appears to have all "Inside Lock-Ups"
    But the one that I got from Advance Auto looks to be similar to my bad one, but the Lock-Ups are outside, not inside.
    If you look at Advance Auto's Site, it is the Neapco U-joint, P/N: 2-4800
    I had purchased the 2-3011BF originially, but the bearings have a larger diameter then the one that went bad.
    Where as the 2-4800 U-joint, seems to have a similar diameter....but like I said the Lock-ups are different.

Anyone have any advice on this?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

To be honest with you I just had my rear driveshaft rebuilt.. After having the same bearing problem as you are.. I never did get it figured out i let the shop that gets the work that i dont want to do handle it..
  3. MightyMax

I was able to talk with a Tech Support person at Neapco.
    Looks like for me I need their 2-3011 U-joint.

So I will get that one and try him.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure when GM started it, but they use a plastic injection for the factory retainers for the OE u-joints, so that plastic has to be melted out with a torch, a heat gun just doesnt seem to get it hot enough.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Plastic injection on the U-joints started sometime in the early 80's and your right it needs a torch to melt it out.
    Beating or pressing the bearing out will only bend the D/S ears.
  6. MightyMax

I am guessing they stopped doing that, because I was able to drive out the two bearings that were still in the drive shaft.
    The other two were shredded when the joint broke :D
    So that made getting the thing a part a lot easier.

The 2-3011 was the u-joint for my truck.
    Got it put in and driveshaft back in place. Working great.

There has been a squeaking noise for a while, which I thought might be the rear brakes.
    But it appears it was the U-joint going bad......
    The squeaky noise is now gone.
    So was able to kill 2 birds w/ one stone on this job. Which is always nice.