U-Joints advice

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by egreg, May 15, 2013.

1. egreg

egreg Rockstar

Hey guys. I'm going to do the U-joints on my rear driveshaft this weekend. I have a 2000 Silverado Z71 (5.3). I just checked the Autozone site, and there are over a dozen choices. I have read the sticky thread about how to remove them, but I just need to know what parts to get now. Thanks for the help!

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good luck!! I have not had a ujoint replacement experience that has not required at least 1 additional trip back to the parts store. I suggest removing them and taking them with you to get the new ones. Compare diameter of caps and distance between c-clips with caps pushed into place.

1 person likes this.
  3. offroadmaine

offroadmaine New Member

when you look up the part on autozones website look at the bottom of the description it tells you what there for there are like 20 diff. options but really the only diff. between them is brand,warrenty,etc.. but it will say at the end of the description (extended cab rear shaft) or (front shaft standered cab) just select the one you need u-joints are a simple thing if you dont have mods and havent upgraded them to heavier duty and all that. Or if you are going to go into the store you can bring the old ones like Pikey suggested or you can just go to the counter tell them what you have an what you need and then can look up the right one for you (that is as long as the parts counter guys in your area are not retards)

1 person likes this.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree, sometimes that works. But, I have had many experiences changing u-joints on multiple vehicles. The guys at most of the big box part stores are only as smart as what is stored in their database. I have often found that their u-joint information is incorrect. It is just easier to take them with you. For the front drive shaft on my 1995 it took me 4 trips to get it correct. I ended up using joints that were not even listed as a fit for my truck. Another note, I have noticed over the years that autozone's lifetime warranty u joints are not greasable. I asked why and the guy told me it is because people forget to grease them when they install them and they fail. I prefer to be able to pump grease into mine when I change my oil. So, I always buy the 1 year warranty joints that have grease fittings.

5. steved

steved Former Member

NeapCo, Spicer, and Precision are good name joints...and in some of those, "heavy duty" simply means "greaseable"...

If you find a Napa, they re-box Precisions if I remember right...

1 person likes this.