u joints

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by andrew bookout, Mar 18, 2009.

1. andrew bookout

andrew bookout New Member

has any one had any problems with u joint when they put a 6 inch lift on a 95 chevy pickup

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi Andrew,

Anytime you increase the angle of your drive shaft you decrease it's longevity.

3. andrew bookout

andrew bookout New Member

so will i need to change any thing with the drive shaft

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you want the drive shaft to last you might consider having a custom shaft made with a CV joint added in on the top end. The ultimate cure is to increase your pinion angle so the pinion nose points upward at more of an angle.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Everyone thats put on a 6" lift has had U-joint problems at one time or another.
    As Jimmiee posted having a new shaft built with a CV instead of the common U-joint would help.
    Also look at transfer case shims or transfercase drop kits (same thing).
    Spicer introduced a new double Cardan CV joint to the market a few months ago, I havent had a chance to use one yet but from the marketing literature and feedback from those that have used it I think it'll cure a lot of problems for lifted trucks.
    With a 6" lift you probably need a slightly longer D/S anyways, yours is probably riding on the end of the slip joint splines and one good stretch of the suspension will drop it out.