Ultimate Penetrating oil?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Mar 5, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I stopped by a friends garage the other day because I wanted to do a crank relearn on my truck. He wanted a case of cheap beer and a pack of smokes to do it, the dealer wanted $150. While I was there I came across article from popular mechanics magazine about a test where they tried different penetrating oils. Here is what the results said

Oil used - Average torque load to loosen

No oil 516 ft/lbs
    wd-40 238 ft/lbs
    PB Blaster 214 ft/lbs
    Liquid Wrench 127 ft/lbs
    Kano Kroil 106 ft/lbs
    ATF-Acetone mix 53 ft/lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix ranked the best on lab corroded bolts and nuts. They mix it 1:1. I asked the owner of the shop about it. He laughed and said, "Oh yea, we call it Fall Off"
    he had it in a atf bottle with a small tip on it. He said the only thing is that you need to make sure that you put a cover on the tip or the acetone will evaporate. I will be trying this soon. Obviously, you need to keep it away from plastic and rubber parts.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Nice tip Mike, thanks
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A quart of acetone is $5.99. A quart of cheap ATF is $4.99. So, for $10.98 you get 2 quarts (32 ounces) of the homemade penetrating oil. not bad considering that an 11 ounce can of PB blaster is $5.49.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Haha, my wife buys it by the litre (33 oz) to remove her finger nail polish
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Thanks for this article! This will help me change my upper control arms over spring break!!
  6. zuki82

zuki82 New Member 100 Posts

It works great, been doing it for years! ATF, Marvel mystery oil, either one with acetone works great! Case in point, brake lines on a 96 caddy! After breaking off connectors at the block, I put the mix on the lines at the calipers and let them sit a couple of hours, and they came off like new!
  7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 100 Posts

I've been using the Acetone-ATF for years! It's the best that I've used.
  8. BRB46

BRB46 New Member 100 Posts

I will be mixing up some of this to use. Thanks for the info.
  9. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 New Member

Great info, thanks! And on the plus side, even if I don't do the acetone/ATF mix, I can switch to Liquid Wrench it appears to work almost twice as well as my usual pb blaster I buy.
  10. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

yeah, but that is mixed with mineral oil and sexy smell stuff.