Ultimate Penetrating oil?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Pikey, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I stopped by a friends garage the other day because I wanted to do a crank relearn on my truck. He wanted a case of cheap beer and a pack of smokes to do it, the dealer wanted $150. While I was there I came across article from popular mechanics magazine about a test where they tried different penetrating oils. Here is what the results said

Oil used - Average torque load to loosen

No oil 516 ft/lbs
    wd-40 238 ft/lbs
    PB Blaster 214 ft/lbs
    Liquid Wrench 127 ft/lbs
    Kano Kroil 106 ft/lbs
    ATF-Acetone mix 53 ft/lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix ranked the best on lab corroded bolts and nuts. They mix it 1:1. I asked the owner of the shop about it. He laughed and said, "Oh yea, we call it Fall Off"
    he had it in a atf bottle with a small tip on it. He said the only thing is that you need to make sure that you put a cover on the tip or the acetone will evaporate. I will be trying this soon. Obviously, you need to keep it away from plastic and rubber parts.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Nice tip Mike, thanks

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

A quart of acetone is $5.99. A quart of cheap ATF is $4.99. So, for $10.98 you get 2 quarts (32 ounces) of the homemade penetrating oil. not bad considering that an 11 ounce can of PB blaster is $5.49.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Haha, my wife buys it by the litre (33 oz) to remove her finger nail polish

5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Thanks for this article! This will help me change my upper control arms over spring break!!

6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

It works great, been doing it for years! ATF, Marvel mystery oil, either one with acetone works great! Case in point, brake lines on a 96 caddy! After breaking off connectors at the block, I put the mix on the lines at the calipers and let them sit a couple of hours, and they came off like new!

7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I've been using the Acetone-ATF for years! It's the best that I've used.

8. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I will be mixing up some of this to use. Thanks for the info.

9. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Great info, thanks! And on the plus side, even if I don't do the acetone/ATF mix, I can switch to Liquid Wrench it appears to work almost twice as well as my usual pb blaster I buy.

10. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yeah, but that is mixed with mineral oil and sexy smell stuff.