1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ultrasonic rear parking assist issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by chevymom, Sep 7, 2007.

1. chevymom

chevymom New Member

I just purchased my tahoe last night (wednesday night) and I am trying to work the rear parking assist but it doesn't seem to work properly. When I put the truck in reverse the red light comes on and it does not beep and tell me when I am close to something. I've tried cleaning off the sensors and it still doesn't work. Also the button that turns it on and off won't turn off, i've pushed it quite a few times and still nothing. When I push it, it blinks three times and the light comes right back on, not sure what the problem is but since i paid for it, i'd like it to work. I would like to know if anyone else had this problem or knows how to fix it or if im just doing something wrong before i take it back to the dealership.

also it doesn't sound like my rear speakers are working and i've checked all of the dials up front but the only time i hear sound from the rear speakers is when i turn the fade all the way to the back. Anyone know what might cause the speakers to not work?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok, it sounds like you've got issues that need to be addressed by the dealership.

The rear parking assist should work fairly easily. You should have an on/off toggle button that actually displays in the DIC (Driver's information Center -- when the odometer is displayed). When you turn it off it should read "Parking Assist Off" or something like that.

When you back up near something, say a garage door (something flat), you should be able to see three dots near the back interior of your vehicle when looking over your right shoulder. Two yellow and one Red. When you get something like 4 or 5 feet away, the first yellow dot should appear. When you get about 2-3 feet away the second yellow dot should appear and beep. Somewhere around 1-2 feet away the third RED dot should appear. (These distances are just for illustration ... I'm not certain what the actual distances are)

About your stereo, if you turn your fade on all the way to the rear you should be able pretty quickly if they're working full power or not. Again, something a dealership should be able to repair for you pretty quickly and easily if they're not working properly. It may be an issue of the graphic EQ. What type of radio is in the tahoe? Some units have options for "normal", surround sound, talk radio, rear speakers and "Driver" mode. I know the Bose units do.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  3. chevymom

chevymom New Member

Thanks steve, I took it in and found out that one of the sensors is missing from the back so that's why it's not working and the dealer said he would try to replace it for us for free. I don't believe it was there when we bought it because I don't recall seeing the different color lights so we'll see how that plays out.

As far as the speakers, they work fine, I was looking at the onstar speakers and expecting them to play music, silly me.... I am so new at this lol.... So they work fine.

Thanks again for helping me with this.
  4. nowlaj

nowlaj New Member

The red light should only come on when you are REALLY close to something (all lights flash when you first go into reverse). I'd have the dealer fix it under warranty
    Best O Luck
  5. ChevyFan

I've noticed that it also can find a curb if you're backing into a parking spot with grass on the other side. As you back-up, it will beep once when you get to where the bumper is near the curb, and it will beep red when the tires are about to touch.
  6. ChevyFan

The more I drive vehicles that don't have this featues, the more I really like it. I think a feature like this will be standard equipment (or a common add-on) for all new vehicles in the next 10 years.
  7. goleee33

goleee33 Member

Yeah its kind of wierd how the back up system works in these trucks. Assuming you have an 07? For the rear speakers make sure the rear audio contol system behind the console is off because when it is on it turns off the rear speakers. Made that mistake a few times ha
  8. ChevyFan

Just wanted to bump this thread. I think I want to have this on every vehicle that I ever buy again.
  9. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

The dealership should make the repair for free.. if there was a sensor missing from the factory it should in no way be your resonsibility to purchase a new one..

The parking sensor system is pretty clutch tho too.. I agree.
  10. minnesota

minnesota New Member

I am having the same issue with the back-up sensor

I was curious if you were able to determine the issue you were having with back-up sensors not working. The same thing is happening with mine. Press the button to activate, it blinks a few times but will not turn on.