Unable to lower spare wheel

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gstadter, Apr 22, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. gstadter

gstadter New Member

Recently purchased a used 2001 Suburban.
    Attempting to lower the wheel, I was unable to get the end of the tool to 'grab' or 'seat', when inserted up the tube.
    I aimed a flashlight up the tube, and from as well as I can see, it appears as though there is something(metal) sheered off, at the end of the tube just above the wheel.

Is there any "backup method" for getting the wheel down?
    Granted, I may be looking at replacing the wheel lowering mechanism, or at best extracting whatever some previous owner broke off up in there, but for now, I'd settle for just getting the wheel down.
    Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

-Gary
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

well when they get stuck or break the only way i know of is to cut the cable, not ideal but it works. When you replace the unit make sure to lube it up and periodicaly use it to keep the gears and cable free and operating
  3. Immrchevvy

Immrchevvy New Member

I replace them frequently at work, the grime and dirt from the road gets inside them and makes them stick, as well as water getting in and causing rust. Replacement is your best option.
  4. bazar01

bazar01 New Member 100 Posts

Are you sure you are using the correct end of the tool? Don't use the flat male end, use the square female end.
  5. Marcus A.

Marcus A. New Member

There is a safety device that the tire hangs from. On my '03 burb it lowers about 6 inches, then you have to squeaze the mechanism to release teh safety hook. I took a pair of pliers and bent the tabs that hole the wheel. Dropped wheel onto ground, slid out and oiled mechanism so it works next time