1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Unable to reset a code

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by msvx95, Feb 11, 2012.

1. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

I just finished changing out an O2 sensor and since I don't have an ObdII code scanner, I tried disconnecting the battery cables and waiting 5 mins at least to clear the code.
    The "service engine" light is still on....Did I do something wrong or is there a better solution without needing the scanner?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You have to touch the positive and negative together to reset them,

3. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Mike, I've never heard of doing that...I was going to leave them disconnected for a few hours, but then just went to the store and bought a 50 dollar ObdII scanner and was able to erase the code. I let the truck run and no check engine light so all is good right now.

4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Uh, I hope Mike was kidding as I have never heard of that and know that that's pretty freakin' dangerous. Only way I have been able to delete codes is to use a scanner.

5. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Yeah I wasn't about to do something that stupid...I know what happens when wrench accidently touches positive and negative :O

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Never heard of that as well Mike. Some codes you need a scanner to clear while others you can disconect the cables. Sometimes if you don't have a scanner or access to one you can replace the part and depending one the code most will clear themselves after a certain amout of drive cycles.

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You touch the positive and negative cables together (not hooked up to the battery). Sorry i didnt offer enough clarification on that. There is less than .5volts in the computer residual but this is how you reset the computer if unhooking the battery doesnt work, and you do not have an OBD2 scanner.

8. Mowerpan

Mowerpan New Member

Yup Mike is correct. There are capacitiors that store a very small amount of power for things such as air bags ect. They also state to do this when doing any airbag repairs.

9. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Yes I thought you can turn on the headlight knob too after disconnecting the battery to get that leftover residual power out of the system..That's what I did and it didn't work.
    I did buy the OBDII scanner and solved my problem.