1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Under Drive Pulley

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Goldie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm looking to add an under drive water pump pulley to my 07 4.3L engine. Can someone give me a source for purchasing one? I haven't had much luck searching the net for one. I already have the crank and alternator pulleys so I don't need a kit.
  2. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member 100 Posts

Can I ask why you wants smaller water pump or alt pulley? The point of the underdrive crank pulley or to reduce parasitic loss, replacing the other with smaleer pulleys would counter act this andjust make it a bitch to find a proper fitting belt
  3. shaggy08xr

shaggy08xr New Member

Where can I get the crank pulley from. I did a light weight crank pulleyon an 08 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner (I know, a Toyota) and really liked the difference in acceleration the pulley gave the truck.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Many kits include a new belt or tell you what new belt to use.

Just google GM 4.3L underdrive pulley kit. Summit, Jegs, amazon, ebay.. Everyone has them.
  5. shaggy08xr

shaggy08xr New Member

Do the pulleys only come for the 4 3? I have the 5.3.
  6. Pikey

The only one that I have found for the 5.3L is Jet Performance, Mfr Part#: 90143. I am not saying that it is the only one. Just the one I found with a quick google search

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that this was discussed a few years ago here. People had issues finding them for the 5.3L then.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/53575-under-drive-pulleys
  7. clgoch187

For a crank pulley yes. But if you go changing water pump and alternator pulleys your gonna be defeating the crank pulley and ducking up your belt length.
    By going to a smaller pulley on the accessories your actually increasing the Roma of said accessory and adding resistance to the belt that will put more strain on the engine.
  8. Pikey

On my 1995 5.0L I did the under drive pulleys. I did the alternator and the crank. It came with a new gates belt number, I went to the parts store with that number and bought the belt. It fit fine.
  9. clgoch187

But what was the benefit of it...you would be back to the stock level of parasitic loss
  10. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What benefit are you hoping for with an underdriven pulley system? I don't see you getting more than a few horse increase from such a system for a 200HP engine.

Guys that have superchargers will put a small pulley on the supercharger to make it spin faster increasing boost.

IMO, an underdriven pulley setup on a stock 4.3L engine is probably a waste of time.