1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Undercoating Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Ratchet Thunderbolt, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Ratchet Thunderbolt

Ratchet Thunderbolt New Member

I have a new Silverado and live in MI the salt capital of the U.S. I am thinking of getting the truck undercoated. Does anyone have opinions of getting a vehicle undercoated or not? For those that have their trucks undercoated who did you use and were you pleased? Thanks for any information.
  2. CornhuskerChevy

CornhuskerChevy Rockstar

I just bought my truck. The previous owner had an undercoating/rust stopper put on when he got it new. It now has 25k on it and the stuff is already flaking/peeling/chipping or whatever you want to call it from driving on the gravel. Not sure how it works with salt, just my expirience.
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they are good, but they need to be well maintainted. mine is very flaky at 278,000 km, and the frame is starting to have surface rust as the paint peeled with the undercoating, but its still intact in some places. if you are willing to have it redone every few years, its a good idea.
  4. kendonhank

kendonhank New Member

undercoating voids warranty

If you undercoat, you void the corrosion warranty.

I know, I am suing GM now for undercarriage corrosion.

Best think is wash the undercarriage to keep salt off it and park in garage if possible.
  5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I should also add that anyone else's should hold up better than mine. my stepdad NEVER washed the undercarriage - first time was 7 years later when i did it. salt was never kept off - probably contributed to my peeling/flaking rocker panels. and not always parked in garage. some dealers do undercoating that should be covered by corrosion warranty as it is dealer-installed, such as on my moms buick lucerne.

i digress a bit, but oh well... the dealer my dad works for had a bit of a mishap a couple of years ago when they were undercoating a truck. the truck was not put on the lift properly and the slid off on one side. this left it hanging only by the frame on one side of the truck. luckily the frame of the 07 silverado HD they were working on was strong enough that it didnt get damaged in this incident except for scratching the new undercoating off where it rubbed.
  6. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Wonder if that Rhino liner would work as a good undercoating or not ...
  7. suede

suede New Member

I also was kinda curious on this, The pickup i bought has some rust issues on the lower side skirts and cab corners, i had an idea of tryin to get as much of the rust off as possible, then hitting it with 3M's rubberized coating to try and slow it down...

anyone done this or bad idea?
  8. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've been pondering doing the same on my truck. The 2 things holding me up--#1 do I want the rockers black? and#2 the time the truck needs to be down for it to "cure". I better decide soon, Michigan winters are coming soon and this is definantly a summer job.
  9. Ratchet Thunderbolt

Rust needs two things, oxygen and moisture. If you just clean it and cover it the small amount of rust left still has oxygen in it and will continune to grow. You might try cleaning it and using a product called pour 15. It actually bonds with rust and stops it. I used it with and old F-150 and it stopped the rust for years. It's expensive $40 per quart and has a short shelf life if you leave the lid open. Humidity is what cures the stuff.

http://www.por15.com/

Good luck.
  10. Ratchet Thunderbolt

I am on vacation now but when I return I am going to check with GM to make sure Ziebart does not void any warranty on the truck. I am also going to check with the Ziebart people to see how they avoid spraying the internal locks and such. Their product tends to gum up moving parts especially when it's cold. If all the answers are correct then I'm going to get mine done before winter sets in.