Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Understanding HP and Torque

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by no0b123, Jul 24, 2008.

1. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I thought of this question to myself. My 4.3L V6 Silverado has 195 HP and 260 ft·lb of Torque. Does that mean that any engine with higher specs could tow more weight than me and drive faster?
    For example, a sporty car like a BMW has more HP and more Torque than my V6 Silverado, but could you tow easier/better with the BMW or my truck? Obviously the BMW is faster than my truck even if it had lower numbers than my truck.

BMW M3 333HP 262 ft·lb

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i acually have thought about this to. this is how i figure it. those cars werent designed to tow. the chassis, suspension, etc, were designed to be sport cars so you wouldnt want to tow with them while trucks are built to be tough and tow and haul. those cars also reach there power band at much higher RPM than truck motors, which gain there power in very low RPMs because when they do haul they need that low end grunt

3. no0b123

Right, but technically they have a more powerful motor however I can't imagine a BMW pulling a trailer uphill like a truck could even though it has a more powerful engine. So this brings up another question; does it matter what the specs of your motor is or is it about what the vehicle itself was made for :neutral:

Some cars even have 1000HP but could it really outperform a truck (towing wise)?

4. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

To answer to engine spec question, I say yes. If you put the Beamer motor in the same truck, it would tow more, faster. Peak HP and Torque may be at different RPMs. But once you get to the right RPMs, you're off to the races. As far as a BMW towing more than your truck, I think it would, right up to the point where the transmission falls out and the rear end gets ripped out from under the rear of the car. Apples and Oranges.

Here's an interesting article http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  5. no0b123

I learn something new everyday. So even though the BMW has 2ft·lb more of torque than I do, it still could not tow as much weight as I could correct? Because of the brute nature of a truck.